LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sam   23 August 2016

Divorce based on paranoid schizophrenia

Hi, I have posted earlier also in the forum that my wife has Paranoid Schizophrenia (7 1/2 years of marriage). Recently, she had slapped our old neighbor lady and they came to my wife's native (and called PCR, but they left the premises). She also blamed me that I have an extra marital affair with that lady without any reasons. After that we have stopped talking to each other (and families too stoped talking). Wife shouted on me that I need divorce and do not want to live with you, you have your affair with that lady and I am impotent.

1) We recently asked one of the colony members to visit her family and know the situation on what they think. However, it seems that now they are now taking U turn by saying that I (husband) never called them and my wife is missing me a lot. This is actually a usual story - my wife always blames me for everything and then, she starts missing me after few days or a month. Mutual divorce is most likely not possible, since they will never agree for a divorce, even though they keep on warning me or making police complaints that she needs divorce. Any way out?

2) Do I need to prove in family court that she is paranoid schizophrenia patient before marriage or so, since I will not be able to prove this. I have her medical records, but only for last 2-3 years. Will court ignore my case on the context that all this must have happened after marriage (My wife had a miscarriage in the year 2009 - same yeaar we got married). She completed her MA in English after marriage.

3) If suppoose mutual divorce discussion does not work, then they may keep quiet or file a series of false cases against me. Should I wait for her reaction, or can I file case against her? I have following points with me: She has sucidal tendency, she has attempted to hit me earlier (pushing me aside), not allowing me to go to office for 2-3 days or a week, blaming and giving warning to me and my family, asking for divorce again and again, calling me impotent, blaming me for extra marital affair. I do have witness (old neighbor family) to prove that she blamed me of extra marital affair. But not other points (may be text messages /some audio (copied to my external Hard disk) to my office seniors that I will not be able to come to office).

Please suggest.

Learning

7 Replies

dr g balakrishnan (advocate/counsel supreme court)     23 August 2016

how did u diagnose yr wife is a paranoid sir ?

dr g balakrishnan (advocate/counsel supreme court)     23 August 2016

if every one becomes a psychologist self proclaimed where is the need of psychologists and psychiatrists pls, sir?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 August 2016

Why don't you continue in your original thread only!

Sam   23 August 2016

Originally posted by : dr g balakrishnan
how did u diagnose yr wife is a paranoid sir ?

Sir, I have medical records from certified private psychologist and she has been hospitalized twice.

Sam   23 August 2016

Originally posted by : Ramesh Singh
@ well done Mr. Kumar Doab, for Mr.Sam if you file petition on ground "paranoid schizophrenia" for divorce, then not only it reject at once but if your wife do anything in future then you will the 1st to arrest. It seems you are searching legal ground for divorce, its better book holiday package for couple and spend with her, maybe after return she trust you.

I do not think so. We have been to many holidays together and it remains the same harrasment all the time. In fact, we were planning for thailand a few days ago for next year starting and still, all this happened.

SuvP   28 August 2016

I am not a lawyer by any means. But, this is what I think. If you have complete and valid proof about her having paranoid schizoprenia why are you scared of any case that she may file on you? You can surely say she is having this mental disorder.

Also, understand she is a mental patient she is not doing it intentionally. We in India fail to understand how a mental patient feels we just assume they are being adamant etc. My point being try to get both families involved in this and make them understand that you wish to divorce because you would be insufficient to take care of her mental health.

You can divorce her because she is your wife, what if your sibling or your parents developed paranoid schizoprenia then would you leave them as well?

Sam   29 August 2016

Originally posted by : SuvP
I am not a lawyer by any means. But, this is what I think. If you have complete and valid proof about her having paranoid schizoprenia why are you scared of any case that she may file on you? You can surely say she is having this mental disorder.

Also, understand she is a mental patient she is not doing it intentionally. We in India fail to understand how a mental patient feels we just assume they are being adamant etc. My point being try to get both families involved in this and make them understand that you wish to divorce because you would be insufficient to take care of her mental health.

You can divorce her because she is your wife, what if your sibling or your parents developed paranoid schizoprenia then would you leave them as well?

I understand completely her state of mind. I have seen a lot in last 7.5 years and compromised a lot to save our married life. My wife has lodged police complain twice in last 2-3 years, blamed me for everything, tried to commit suicide last year, got admitted twice to trauma center, keeps on giving warning to me and my family, calling me impotent, blaming me that I have extra marital affair without any proof / reasons, slapping neighbor lady where we used to stay last year, getting paranoid schizophrenia after every 2-3 months or so. Last incident was a turning point for me where I had to take this decision, since I also have some self respect.

I think, it is better for both of us to live separately rather than going through same pain again and again.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register