LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sneha Sinha   30 October 2020

Divorce and separation from family

Hi, I was recently (1 and a half years back) married to a man I introduced to my family, me introducing him to my family is a whole different story where my parents had arranged a meeting with a local guy 4-5 years back and I was not interested in marriage at all at that particular point of time. So, they tortured me and forced me to tell them if I wanted to marry someone I knew ,to which I replied that I do not have anything like that in my mind right now and I want to focus on my career for a few years. They tortured me to an extent where they said they will not allow me to step out of my village and pursue ny career if I didnt tell them what was going on, I tried convincing them in all possible ways that I am not thinking about marrying anyone right now and I have to first build my career and my focus would be that right now. They thought I am lying to them and forced me and kept torturing me and I had to take this person's name whom I was dating for past 4 5 years but I did not want to marry this person as I had realised in these past years that this person is not suitable to be a life partner
This then continued for 2 to 3 years and I kept saying no ,I need time and plz wait and I dont want to marry this person right now
My parents did not think even once as to why am 8 saying no everytime they talk to me about getting engaged to him or getting married to him, If this wqs really what I wanted and was happy with marrying this person then I would have never delayed the process and kept pushing dates.

They somehow blackmailed and tortured me again and fixed the dates around may for marriage and 6 months before that in dec 2018 I was engaged to this person.

While this was going on, I met a muslim guy at my workplace and we fell in love with each other and he wanted to marry me too, I tried speaking to my brother about this since I knew my father would never listen and will come to Pune and will take me away from here and will not think even once about my career or anything else for that matter

the guy then thought of speaking to my dad and called him once and told him why I did not want to Marry the other guy and that I wanted to marry someone else

my dad did not listen and tortured and blackmailed me and got me married to this person

After 1.5 years of marriage now ,I still cant bear to see this man's face and I get irritated even by the thought of talking to him or his family members

now 8 months back they brought me to my hometown and I am with them and they are torturing me to get back with this man and I cant do that because I have no feelings or emotions for him

the muslim guy was also tortured and was threatened that they would get him killed or would lodge a love-jihad case against him

and the guy still wants to marry me and I want the same but my parents are now saying that I will have to stay with the person they got me married to or else they will kill me

they snatch my phones or my laptop(work from home laptop) and threaten me that they would end my career and will never let me work again and I have been bearing this since past 8 to 10 months

I understand what I have done is wrong but now forcing someone into a forced marriage and asking them to be happy when they cant do that doesnt make any sense

I want the best legal advice from the best lawyers plz, even If I get a divorce, I want separation from my parents and want an assurity that these ppl will not chase ne and will not be after my life

Learning

2 Replies

BHARTI KOTHARI (practising advocate)     30 October 2020

hi u being age of majority so it is your choice with whom u want to reside even your parents cant stop you. and so far as your marriage is concerned you can divorce him.

Thanking you.

Adv. Bharat Kothari., 9322523623

Sneha Sinha   30 October 2020

but sir how will that be possible if they dont let me file for a divorce
I would also want to know what about my parents and other family members after I get divorced.. They have threatened me that they will kill me no matter where I am

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register