LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj Kumar (Self Employed)     12 November 2016

Discharge or quash petition for a 420 case.

Dear Sirs,

I have to file a a discharge /quash procedings for a case of 420. Charge sheet filed in Feb 2015.

1) Should I go for discharge or quash in high court ? What are comparative success rate of discharge vs quash? I heard discharge has lean possibilty.

2) If discharge is not in my favor, can I go for quash remedy? I heard that if you go for discharge and if it fails you can not go for quash.

3) What would be approx. court fee for quash petition in HC

4) Is there any limitation after charge sheet filed?


Thanks in advance.


 3 Replies

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     12 November 2016

Raj will u please give full fact of case.

Raj Kumar (Self Employed)     13 November 2016

I have been implicated in a false 420 cases in a land deal. I exeuted an MoU with one Mr. B recieving a small token and handed over possession of a the property in my possession. The property was in dispute and I have made the buyer aware of the all facts verbally and in MoU. Mr. B readied to resolve all disputes and then was to share the profit 50/50 (terms stated in MoU) But later he handed over possession to a third person in collusion with the person with which we had dispute. Also made some forged doc that he has paid me full amount to get my full right.

Now he alleged in his FIR that I sold the property w/o letting him know the disputes and he signed MoU without his deliberate consent on the terms. And later third person grabbed the possession from him. And I am not returning the token and allged amount mentioned in his forged doc. I made complain in police station about forged doc but no action taken.

However, he filed an FIR 420 against me, I was jailed and on bail.

Now some lawyer say go for discharge some say for Quashing.

Could you answer my above query in light of these facts, please.


Ashok Thakur (Senior Lawyer and International Law Consultant)     23 November 2016

Hello Raj,


A contract ar agreement whether express or implied made or entered between two parties for committing any illegal or fraudulent act is VOID ab initio. Whereas, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is not a legal contractual or binding. However, MoU may be considered by the Court as an admissible evidence to cast serious doubts on the Prosecution and can be challenged in the Sessions Court by filing a 'Revision' immediately after framing of the Charge, and if you remain unsuccessful in your revision, you can move the High Court to QUASH the FIR. You are automatically considered as 'DISCHARGED", should the High Court quashes the Charges and the FIR.

Hope, the above feedback is more than very useful to decide and act upon.


Ashok Thakur

Senior Lawyer, Supreme Court of India

Mobile: 8459004886

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register