25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajat Gaur   18 August 2022

Difficulty in getting Gratuity for a recent retired Govt employee

Greetings !!!

My Father was working in Chandigarh Municipal Corporation and in May'1995 he was allotted with a Govt owned accomodation. Rent and Maintenance Charges were getting deducted from the Salary. Water and Electricity bills we have to pay by ourselves since the both Utility connections were on my Father's name
We have taken the NDC from Electricity and Water Supply department where our Zero Dues were pending and submitted it to the Municipal Corporation after retirement.
My Father retired in January 2022 and after that We are constantly following up with Concerned members of Municipal Corporation for NDC of Govt Accommodation because without this they will not pay Gratuity.
Now Suddenly they are saying We don't have record of some specific years and in return of this you have to pay 25000 Rupees as Dues.
Without paying 25000 NDC of House will not be given and Hence No Gratuity
No official notice or Dues descriptttion is received by us till now.

My Request is Should We go to court in this case, if yes then how could we process or what legal benefits we are having in such a case
Some Key points which I thought was
1. Since House rent was supposed to be deducted by Department, Do My Father have any fault here
2. If record is not found by Department, then is it our fault or We are supposed to Re-pay the money

Please guide me in this concern

Thank you in advance


 1 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 August 2022

It is responsibility of the Employer to assess the recoveies to be effected from Gratuity. The retired/retiring employee is not required to run from pillar to post.

Your father can approach the Administrative Tribunal and seek appropriate directions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query