Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

General person (Job)     25 March 2014

Greedy lawyer

Dear Experts/ Lawyers,

Sometimes back, I submitted 10,000 cash to a lawyer for some legal work and emailed my documents. Rest 15,000 was to pay after service/work. Total fees was 25,000. I submitted and told lawyer that I will give date of proceedings bcz some points were not clear at my end. i kept the proceedings hold at my end. Finally, due to some reasons that purpose of that legal work had to be withdrawn and I asked for my money back which was 10,000. But lawyer is not refunding the amount. I asked the lawyer that you can take some amount like 1000 for the consultation and conversation I had over phone and rest refund to me. But the lawyer said the whole money, 10,000 he will not refund. 

Can anybody tell me that i should I do? Is not the lawyer becoming greedy. He did not do any efforts. Only I had telephonic conversation and sent my documents and money. After that nothing he had to do. But still not ready to refund my money. I have receipt of bank which I transfer the cast through.

Pls advise.

Learning

11 Replies

Kapil Gupta (Advocate)     25 March 2014

The question arises here as to how the effort of the advocate can be measured and the nature of work youhave not described here.

BALKRISHAN (CHIEF ACCOUNTS OFFICER)     25 March 2014

I also paid lawyer to do some case, after hearing the case and taking documents an d cheque, never filed the case.  And refused to give back the money, saying advocates never refund .

General person (Job)     26 March 2014

Dear Kapil Gupta Ji,

I said that I just emailed my documents and deposited money and I asked lawyer that he has to wait when i will give him date. i will confirm when he has to start proceedings. But i had to withdraw it and for that he is not refunding my money. Total agreed amount was 25,000 and 10,000 i paid in advance. But without any proceedings how can he keep my money!!! 

General person (Job)     26 March 2014

Dear Balkrishan Ji

I am ready to pay amount for consultation/ conversation over phone. Does any such consultation cost rs. 10,000 ???? even an MBBS degree holder charges max rs,. 500 for consultation. But what about 10,000. Is he not betraying people like me by grabbing big amounts without any work? 

Shame on such work!!! Do not you think that any taken money without any hardwork/ efforts/ knowledge is called "Din Dahade Dhokha Dhadi"??

If you have any words which can help me in this regard, pls do that. Would be so thankful.

RAMESH ANAND (Service)     26 March 2014

In the such  matter in which the image of profession and due amount of consultation etc

I think it is delibrtaed lacumae on professional body i.e. Bar Councils of having some standard parameter/norms of charges for handle cases and charges at difference stages of matter depend upon the standing of lawyers in profession etc both in the interest 0f Image of lawyers and Clients

I think some standard of practice, should be for  strict complaince by Legal professionals at least for image of professions, non complaince and no standard provide the facilities to miscreant/dishonest  professionals   though these cases are is an exception   

RAMESH ANAND (Service)     26 March 2014

In the such  matter in which the image of profession and due amount of consultation etc

I think it is delibrtaed lacumae on professional body i.e. Bar Councils of having some standard parameter/norms of charges for handle cases and charges at difference stages of matter depend upon the standing of lawyers in profession etc both in the interest 0f Image of lawyers and Clients

I think some standard of practice, should be for  strict complaince by Legal professionals at least for image of professions, non complaince and no standard provide the facilities to miscreant/dishonest  professionals   though these cases are is an exception   

General person (Job)     27 March 2014

Dear Ramesh Chand Ji,

I agree with your opinion!

Of course, some standard should be implemented on professionals practices. Particularly professionals like, Lawyers, Doctors, Consultants etc. Because, otherwise people like me and you would be in problem and our hard earned money goes in wrong hands this way.

Thanks

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     27 March 2014

there is any drafting work too or not? consultatiom fee can not be fixed, its depend on the lawyer, some of lawyer are charging 10 lakh rupees as consultatiom fee too, its depend on the case and lawyer, so it will be better to settle the matter amicably.

RAMESH ANAND (Service)     27 March 2014

I fully agree with Nadeem saheb, but point is that some modelity should be invoked at Bar council Level

so that people not get cheated / overcharged/not get service after apyment/refund for excess charged without work done fully by some unprofessional lawyer not concerned with thier ethics by that people shall have confident to approach Lawyer as per rating etc by bar council, it is be also in benefit of Lawyers

Thanks

cyberlawyer (barrister)     07 April 2014

Atleast he could have retained 25% of the fees and refunded the balance since eventhough he has not commenced any work he might have perused the records and gone through judgments and law books. This is just an assumption considering he is a very sincere hardworking lawyer

It is not fair to retain the entire amount even if he has done some perusal of the documents.

General person (Job)     08 April 2014

Cyber lawyer,

Dear Sir, I really appreciate your opinion. This is what I actually want to be happened. I will fight for my right and money. For lawyers/ professionals Rs. 10,000 might be a nominal amount. But for a person like me, who spends whole day in office, listen to bosses, faces private firm’s work pressures, such hard earned money is valuable and a person who respects hardwork of himself will respects others’ too.

He is a lawyer does not mean he cannot face any arguments. I will struggle to get my money upto end of my capability. I have fought for my own rights 2-3 times earlier too and finally I got them with compensation. Learned from my experience. So, I am fully confident that I can raise my voice and teach him a lesson.

Thanks for giving me direction.

Mamta 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register