LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankit   03 March 2021

Tenant not paying electricity bill - can i evacuate building

I have given a commercial property on rent from the last 10 months (rented in July 2020). The electricity meter is installed in the name of the owner of the property (me). The tenant is not paying the electricity bill. He never payed the bill till date. Whenever the meter reader comes he sends him back. More over he has bribed the entire electricity department. Whenever the bill arrives, tenant says that he will pay it but has not paid any bill nor he submitted any reciept for electricity bill payment to me.  He pays the rent but that also after asking for rent repeatedly. The rent deed is legally registered in the court.

I am very upset with this behavior of the tenant. I am also afraid that the government will take legal action against me. What shall i do? I want my property evacuated. 

Learning

3 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   03 March 2021

As per your query, let me tell you that if the tenant is not paying the electricity dues, then the landlord may serve legal notice tot the tenant to pay the said amount within the specified time limit or else the agreement shall stand terminate and the landlord shall be at liberty to adjust the same from the deposit and pay to the electricity distribution company.

Kindly serve legal notice immediately to the tenant through an Advocate.

Hope It Helps

Regards
Kevin M. Paul

Ankit   03 March 2021

Dear Mr. Paul, the problem is that the tenant is not letting the electricity bill be generated from the electricity supply department. How shall I prove that he is the culprit behind it? Whenever the electricity meter reader comes to take a reading, he pays him a bribe and sends him back. As a result, the electricity department generates an "Average Bill". But the tenant never tells that an electricity bill is generated. Out of the curiosity, when I enquired from the electricity department about the bill, they tell me that bill will be generated next time when the electricity department person will go to take the reading from the meter. This is being repeated for the last 5 months. Moreover, when I ask him to pay the bill, he says that he will pay only if the electricity board issues the electricity bill.

As the electricity meter is in my name, I will be penalized for the non-payment of the electricity bill for the last 9 months. Please note that the electricity department is not having any problem with this issue. Otherwise, it is clearly mentioned in the rules that the electrical connection will be disconnected if the bill amount is not payed in the 15 days time limit of the last date of payment. But there is no payment done from last 9 months and still the power connection is working.

Priyank Gagneja (Offset Printer)     04 March 2021

I think Ankit you should put up an application to the electricity department by submitting your physical reading using photograph of yhdd we meter and ask then to generate a bill. Or else ask for current bill under RTI and reason for non generation of bill and the name of person(s) responsible. Hope this helps

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register