Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NeelRVYahoo (Desktop enigneer)     21 September 2019

Cooperative housing society late feeson maintainance charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

My housing society charged me late fees on maintainance charges whereas I was giving maintainnace cheque before last day of evvery month. but cashier/record keeper was recording date after the last day.

1) socierty given me 60000/- amount as unpaid in disputes. they ALSO CHARGED lates fees on Late fees too. 

2) they charged late fees on property tax too every year.

Please guide AND share any guidlines related to this.

Yours faithfully,

Neel

Learning

5 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 September 2019

The society is not a profit-making agency and has to implement laid down stipulations as per Bye-laws and decisions in AGM.

One should not invite troubles in housing society as he has to live several years more in the same building and has to face same people .

Once the stipulations are known, the proper way is to abide by the same.

If you have complaints, you may issue a notice to society, may complain to Sub-registrar and finally approach a District Consumer forum pointing out the arbitrary rules of society.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     21 September 2019

The Society can charge SIMPLE interest @21% or as at any lesser rate as resolved at the AGM, on all outstandings.

NeelRVYahoo (Desktop enigneer)     22 September 2019

appreciate for your prompt reply.

I have still one query that -

1) can co-operative society charge Late Fees on Property Tax. becouse we paid property tax to Municipal corporation every year between november to february month.

2) wesite link related to the rules of housing society.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     22 September 2019

You are a member of society, seek inspection and ask the secretary to provide that bye-law that empowers society to collect penal rate for property tax payable to MC.  Do not bother about other society's bye-laws, as every society has to adopt its own bye-laws.  During the inspection, you can demand for providing such bye-law and can even take a certified copy for your use.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 October 2019

In Maharashtra all housing societies have to adopt what are known as the Model Byelaws. Societies follow the practice of billing members. Bills are based on anticipated bills which the Society itself receives for such things as Municipal tax, common electricity, water etc. Society stipulates a date by which the bills are to be paid, which obviously would be a date earlier than the date by which the Society has to pay to the external auhorities. Model byelaws allow collection of penal interest for delayed payments. Maximum interest rate collectable is mentioned in the bylaws. The General Body fixes the actual interest rate that can be collected.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register