civil suit allowed after cheque bounce case is closed?

Person borrowed 1,20,000/- from me to develop his business and gave me pronote.  Later he gave me cheque for principal alone which was bounced and I filed S138 private complaint.

Accused called me and said he is ready to settle the principal alone. He is adamant and not willing to pay either the unpaid 11 months interest OR the court case expenses.  He is a government teacher earning 50,000rs per month.

1) can I request the judge to order the accused to pay  court case expenses(legal notice fees, S138 private complaint lawyer fees, court fees and case conducting fees) in addition to cheque amount?

2) after accused pays the cheque amount and the S138 private complaint is closed, can I file civil suit with the pronote to claim the 11 months interest?

Please give your suggestions


In the light of latest amendment you are entitled to interest at bank rate and cost of litigation also.

Total likes : 1 times


Mr. Siddharth Srivastav

Thanks for your reply.  Please give some link to this latest amendment.

8 months interest is pending at the time of filing the case.  

My lawyer says any interest pending before filing the S138 case cannot be claimed.  Judge will not award the S138 case expenses.  I checked with another lawyer too.  But my lawyer agreed to request the judge to award the expenses


You cannot claim interest before filing of the case. Even in judgement court will only grant interest from the date of filing of complaint.

Total likes : 1 times


If u takes principal u cannot claim for interest separately be happy he has given some amount of u proceed it take yrs to finish &what u have received will sink as expenses.

interest can be claimed by filing civil suit for recovery.nature of civil suit for recovery of money and cheque bouncing case are altogether different.In former case decree of money [principal,interest and amount of expenses } is passed while in later case punishment for offence of cheque bounce  is given.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

IPC Grand Course     |    x