LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

caps (x)     03 May 2012

Demand for 30yrs old tax due!

Hello everyone,

I got a demand notice from city corporation asking to pay taxes due [according to them] from 1982 to 1986 for a few qtrs here and there. The house is in my late father's name. Since its 30yrs its not easy to find such old receipts allthough I have managed to find a few for which I got the notice in the first place.

 I went to the office and objected to the notice for such a old period and showed them those old receipts I managed to find out , they immediately asked me to deposit those originals for their checking of records. i refused and offered them photocopies but they said it wont do. Now I have been sent that demand notice once again. Though the amount is of a few hundred rupees but I feel what they are doing is not right. So once again I did not pay.

I would like to know...

1] can they all of a sudden sent me a demand notice 30yrs later?

2] not many people keep such old receipts.  does limitation act applies here?

3] can they insist for original receipts when they have lost their own and which is the only proof that i dont have any dues?

Thanks & Regards,



 4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     03 May 2012

Where is the property situated.

mohansreddy (Advocate)     04 May 2012

Better consult some Advocate in your locality.

limitation Act is not applicable for recovery of tax dues.

If u have paid then you can get through RTI there will be entries in books which cannot be manipulated just because they ossued notice to ypu for recovering tax dues.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     07 May 2012

Mr Mohan Reddy,


Does Limitation act not attracted for recovery of municipal tax by the authorities?

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     14 May 2012

Mr. Caps,

Section 147 lays down that if the assessing Officer has reason to believe that any income chargeable to tax has escaped assessment for any ssessment year, he may, subject to the provisions of sections 148 to 153, assess or reassess such income and also any other income chargeable to tax which has escaped assessment and which comes to his notice subsequently in the course of the proceedings under this section,or recompute the loss or the depreciation allowance  or any other allowance, as the case may be, for the assessment year concerned.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register