LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pradeep S (Finance Professional)     29 November 2010

Delay in refund of failed Internet Transaction, bank be sued


Two months back I tried to make payment thru HDFC Net banking and at the end of the transaction I got the message as Transaction failed.  However my Account is debited for the amount and I am still following up with the Bank for refund.  I was informed that even if the amount is credited, it will be on current date and I need to pay Rs.100 + Service Tax as Charges for refund.  My contentions is I will not pay a single paise as charges since I was of no fault and the credit should happen on the day my account is debited, since I dont want to lose interest on the amount for these two months.  Can I file complaint under Consumer Protection Act? if so, can I also claim damages?


 6 Replies


give notice to the concerned branch manager.  Then file a complaint to the ambudsman to take immediate steps.  If failed file consumer for damages

indeep (advocate)     29 November 2010

yes you can go through consumer court but only after giving legal notice to the concern bank


indeep arora


JT Rajasuriya, Chennai (Advocate 98410 53790)     29 November 2010

For a change, why don't you send a letter/ notice to the bank regarding their fault and impose a penalty (with service tax) of about Rs.1000/- for their callous attitude - after all there only exists a contract between you and the bank - and this will give a blow to the big brother attitude of the banks.

SACHIN AGARWAL (ADVOCATE)     03 December 2010

Yes. You can serve a notice and then can file a complaint before the Consumer Forum having jurisdiction.


You can also lodge a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman.

SUNIL KUMAR (MAN)     27 December 2010

Yes. Prefer complaint to Banking Ombudsman of your Region. Before preferring complaint to Banking Ombudsman, you have to give a representation to the Bank and even after, if unresolved go to ombudsman with copy of your letterto Bank and their reply.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 January 2011

Can the complainant send a notice from his side in place of legal notice by his lawyer.

Is notice and legal notice one and same thing and sufficient for filing complaint in consumer forum and court of law.

Notice by email and notice by letter is one and same thing in view of law or not.

What is the difference between a notice and legal notice .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register