LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajendra prasad   24 November 2018

Definition of ancestral property

What is the meaning of ancestral property as per indian law and source from where this definition has come.

Learning

6 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 November 2018

Seek guidance of your tutor.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 November 2018

Any property that is not self-earned by the male with his own income, and which was inherited or purchased through some other's money as legal heir is ancestral property.  In other words, the property should not be inherited from the laid down relatives like father, grandfather of paternal side as per personal law  (Hindu/Muslim).  Contact a local advocate and get clarification in your case.

Rajendra prasad   25 November 2018

Thank you sir.

Some one said that the ancestral property means it must be four generations old i.e father, grand father and great grand father (onle male). Kindly clarify is the above statement is correct. 

As per the indian hindu law, where the official definition for ancestral property is defined. Is in Hindu Sucession Act 1925 or Hindu Succession Act 1956 or any other document. 

I wan to see the meaning in official document.

Kindly help me 

R. Rajendra Prasad

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 November 2018

There is no such generation definition.  You can search in google for Hindu Succession Act.  It is always proper to seek the guidance of local lawyer for guidance in your specific case.

Rajendra prasad   25 November 2018

Thank you sir

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     25 November 2018

The flow of title of the property should be for 4 generations without any interruption i.e. from great grandfather to great grandchildren, to be termed as an ancestral property.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register