LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manas Dham (Finance head)     20 December 2021

Deceased was guarantor for unknown loan to unknown

My father-in-law (FIL) supposedly took a loan some time before his death not from a bank (loan shark). The money was not received by him in his bank account (cheques were shown as drawn in his name). We were told that he had put the house as collateral. The house is not in his name it was in the name of MIL (she is now deceased and loan shark does not know her name). Does the liability of the loan fall on my wife as the only child.

The loan shark came after the death of my MIL. We think that it is a forgery as there has been no transaction in the bank account in the time frame shared. What can we do to protect the house and ourselves.

Learning

1 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 December 2021

First, stop worrying and always speak politely and inform them to provide such copies of documents if any for the loan, and your advocate will scrutinize the documents and you will act as per guidance.  If he disturbs you further issue him a notice.  Be in touch with a local advocate to file a criminal complaint or bind over if they continue harassment of family members.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register