LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pradip kumar baishya (Senior Assistant)     13 April 2013

De novo enquiry

On the basis of complaint, one departmental inquiry was initiated against on messenger of a nationalized bank. In the inquiry process, the complainant was not produced as witness. The Inquiry Officer has termed all three allegations as proved. The disciplinary authority agreed the findings of the inquiry officer and gve a copy of the inquiry report to the charge sheeted employee. The employee on his submission stated that without any prosecution document (except the complaint) and witness, the inquiry officer cannot established the allegations. He pleaded for his exenoration from the allegations. After getting submission from the employee, the DA has constituted a De novo inquiry with another E.O. and PO.

In the denovo inquiry, the complainant was produced and he pleaded that his complaint should be treated as withdrawn. All the three allegations have been treated as not proved by the inquiry officer but DA has not agreed with his view for two allegations and gave his reasons citing the complaint.

Departmental enquiry in Nationalized Banks held under birpartite Settlement with IBA dated 10.04.2002 where there is no provision for Denovo enquiry. Whether Denovo enquiry in the above case is justified? Whether in Denovo enquiry, inquiry officer and presenting officer can be changed?

There were no loss by the bank in the above case.

If someone will clarify on the points raised will be beneficial for Award employyes of Nationalized Banks.

Learning

4 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     13 April 2013

No need for de-novo inquiry the DA should follow procedure for disagreement with the report.  Mere withdrawal of complaint does not mean that case should be closed.  The complaint should have been proved wrong which accused failed to do and probably may not have cross-examined. Both accused and IO were under misconception.  Mere withdrawal of complaint is no justification for IO to believe that misconduct stated in complaint never existed.  It is not a civil suit and complainant has no right to withdraw his complaint. It is not a civil suit.

pradip kumar baishya (Senior Assistant)     16 April 2013

Respected Sudhirji,

Thanks for your response. But my question is unresolved. Whether at that stage( after submission of inquiry report with DA's comment to the accused) a Denovo enquiry can be held?

Thanks

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     16 April 2013

can'nt be stated without seeing full papers.

dr ghazala (doctor)     16 April 2013

I have been employed by a priavte nursing home as a medical officer from 2004 -2007...my employer made me work for  30 days a month ans used to pay  my wages on per day basis...now professional tax department are asking me to pay tax for all these years or ask to get from my employer PTR ( professional tax receipt number) i came to knw that its an employer duty to pay the professional tax of his employees...i have never been given salary on cheque or made to sign any employment . i contract...when i called up the employer /director of the hospital ..he denied any help in paying the taxes...i couriered him 3 letters asking for the same but not replied?? can  i file a case against him in labour court for violating his duties???

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register