LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pradeep (na)     16 April 2011

Daughter's share in property

Respected Advocates,

 My Father-in-Law  aquired agricultural land in seventies near a town in Chhattisgarh. Now that land is within city limits and has much value. He has 3 sons and 2 daughters. Daughters got married after 1984. Now he want to sell it for constructing houses elsewhere in the city  for his sons only. Can daughters claim shares in this property,



 7 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     16 April 2011

If it is ancestral property daughter may claim, but if it is self acquired, father can transfer and distribute it according to his wish.

Atul R Rumale (legal consultant)     17 April 2011

I agree with Mr. Arvind.

Always make a quary with details. with out mentioning status of holer one can not reply.


Learned Advocated,

So how do you define ancestral property ? 

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     17 April 2011

if propery is inherited by father from ancesters, it is a ancestral oroperty, if it is earned by him, it is self acquired.

pradeep (na)     19 April 2011

Respected Advocates, Thanks for your replies. I want to add som more information. Land is aquired by my wife's father by his self earned money but it is registered in the name of my wife's mother.

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     19 April 2011

so the property  sole owner of ur wife mothers , now the mother wantsto dispose this property as she want .

sanjoo (dm)     19 April 2011

Agreed with Mr. Raj Kumar. Your mother-in-law can dispose this property as per her wish.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register