LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V Kumar Singh (Executive)     14 May 2020

Crooked lawyer

There is a serious criminal case filed against me. It is a very serious one (don't want to share details because of public nature of this forum). I am innocent in the matter that I have been accused of and have documentary evidences all in my favor. 

Now I have another serious problem. This being a (crooked) lawyer I had hired. He keeps filing petitions because he has my power of attorney , and keeps asking me for money on each petition filed. He is hands in glove with the other party, needless to say. When I threaten him with termination as my lawyer, he indirectly threatens me with damage in the ongoing case. My question is, can he damage me in any form? And secondly, if I refuse to pay him for his petitions, can he take me to court for non-payment ? What do I do ? As such the matter I am involved in is a very serious one.  It is like being caught between the devil and the deep sea. Dear members, please suggest.

Learning

1 Replies

Tirtharaj Basu Ray   09 June 2020

He may not damage you directly, but as you have mentioned above, he can join hands with the opposite party and you may loose the case. 
Lawyers generally do not sue their clients for non payment of fees. Because if he does so, the client may charge him for committing malpractice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register