LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

uday bhaskaran   18 February 2018

CREDIT CARD ISSUES

I am having an HDFC bank account since 2008. I do have a HDFC credit card too. In December and January, I missed to pay the minimum due and even my credit limit increased by 5k. But have always paid my minimum dues regularly except the above said months. Now HDFC Bank has Freezed my salary account and blocked my credit card. Initially they told to pay the minimum due to release the cheque of 36k which I had deposited in the 7th of Feb. I paid the minimum due in cash on 9th Feb. Then they said the deposited cheque will be released after 48 hours. On 10th HDFC again generated a new credit card bill and told me to the minimum balance of Rs. 3500/-. I again paid that amount in cash. Now when I called up HDFC customer care,. they are saying, I need to clear the full amount I.e. 65000/-. My credit card limit was 60000/-.
Pls suggest/ advice whether HDFC can freeze my salary account like this,. though I have paid the minimum due. not there is no minimum due to be paid.
pls advice.

Learning

1 Replies

Suneet Gupta (www.vashiadvocates.com)     20 February 2018

One should never have a Savings account in a Bank from which you have a Credit Card. Always have separate Banks for taking a loan (Credit Card, Home Loan, etc.) and for keeping your deposits (Savings Account, FD, PPF, etc.)

A Bank has a general lien on all accounts of a customer to whom they have given a loan. Therefore, technically, HDFC Bank can freeze your Savings and Salary Account, if there is any defaulted loan outstanding against your name (e.g. in this case the unpaid Credit Card bill).

In any case, HDFC Bank is one of the worst Banks when it comes to obeying the rules in favour of customers, and the best when it comes to enforcing rules against them. Best of Luck fighting with them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register