LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashok (Proprietor)     18 November 2011

Court fees for defamation suit / maharashtra

I'm intending to file a Civil Suit for defamation in Pune this month.

The Claim amount is described as Rs. 2 Lakhs minimum or more at the court's discretion ( infinite or incapable of valuation), since it contains the damages in mental agony and false litigations,  publication of false news, illegal arrest and custodial torture, encroachment after illegal dispossession etc.

Exactly how much do I have to pay as the Court fee for this kind of a suit ?

And if the adversaries file a counter-claim pleading defamation by my allegations therein, in the same measure, how much will they too have to pay ?


 6 Replies

Sandeep Naik (Advocate)     18 November 2011

If u file Criminal suit, it will be better. You will have to pay just  Rs. 50 /- per accused. It will be binding on the accused to appear in the court on every date provided proces is issued(i.e. order to appear before the court) .

There are number of authorities on Sec.500 of IPC 1860. The admission of ur case in criminal court is a skill of your advocate . He will have to prove whether there was a good faith, imputation etc. You may claim any amount for the compensation and there is no bar provided you show your status and the damages . Try ur best as false complaint is a stigma and u must not accept it.

You may contact me ,if u wish , on  mobile no. 99670 56980. I willtry to help u. 

Advocate Sandeep

Mob: 99670 56980

DR.SANAT KUMAR DASH (Eye Specialist)     06 December 2011

If    a     Defendant   has    stated   a   false    statement   in  the  Written  Statement  filed  in  the   Consumer  Forum,  which  is   not   a  fact.....whether   I   can  file   a   Defamation    case   for   false  imputation??  What  shall  be   the   Court-fee   for   Defamation   case??

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     06 December 2011

filing criminal complaint ,is no substitue  for   claiming  compensation for  defamation ,  criminal  action is  not intended for  that , court fee for  civil action  would be  taxed   as per  advelorum  fee on  the  claim amonut   as provided under  relevant  state  court fees  act ,

Raj (fr)     08 October 2013

what is the court fee of the civil defamation amount,what %age ?

Mahesh Vyas (central govt. standing counsel)     30 April 2014

Respected Sir Shantilal Pandya ji and Sandeep Naik Ji,

I am advocate at Bikaner Rajasthan.

I am to query that whether I can pursue both of the proceedings criminal and civil for the same matter of defamation. 

As my clients want that the accused should be punished and should be paid an amount of compensation for the defamation he had spread wrongly.

Kindly Assist sirs,


Mahesh Vyas



Ashok (Proprietor)     30 April 2014

All the above dear Sirs, 

Out of necessity, I have studied law privately at the library of ILS Law college, Pune, by paying visitors fee, taken notes, studied the Evidence Act, CPC, IPC, Cr. P.C., DMC. Hindu Law, Hindu Succession act, Hindu Marriages Act, settled laws in High Courts and the Supreme Court etc. and hence know this.

It is always best to firstly file a Civil Suit against any Criminal Acts of your adversaries, since they will then have the option to appear and defend and in that, be required to commit their position in writing, on affidavit and you can then ask for more specific details of information of the facts hitherto unknown to you and appearing possible / plausible / probable upon reading their replies and also cross their witnesses, if any and also get a lot of more and new information from them, which will eventually help you to later file the Criminal Case against them, seeking the punishment for their criminal offence.

I have read this kind of suggestion impliedly made by a High Court in it's exemplary judgment, which I'm now following in my case against the Divorced wife and her relatives vide RCS No. 274 / 2013 in a junior civil court in Pune.

The Court fee for these kinds of suits and almost all kinds of civil suits is nearly about 5% of the amount / value claimed. I'm asking for Rs. 2 lakhs in compensation and for that have paid Rs. 8,450/- for court fees. I haven't appointed any lawyer and am fighting it on my own, but others shouldn't do it unless they have sufficient knowledge of legal procedures and settled law, since there are objections necessary and interpretation of facts to be shown in your favor, which only a legal expert can do.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads