LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Coolection of knife is prohibited in india or not

Dear Professionals,

I am very honoured to join this group of professionaIs and submit my gratitude to the admin to allow me join this open group.

I have read many posts of this group but one post which is still very confusing is regarding ARMS ACT. I have a query regarding the same and  have read earlier posts on the same article but not very convinced with the answers given. Hense requesting all professionals to put their views and facts on the same.

I would like to know whether Collection of Antiques like Swords and Knives are prohibited in India. If yes then whether any licensing Authority is there to allow such an activity. Since the application for ARMS LICENSE does not carry any options for knives and swords.

Learning

5 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     26 May 2016

It is important for you to read Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 since acquisition, possesion etc. of arms other than firearms is regulated under Section 4. The power to issue Notifications under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 has been delegated by the Central government to the State governments. In order to find answer to your question, you may file an RTI application with the Home Department of your State government to provide you with certified copy of the Notifications that are in force under Section 4 of the Arms Act 1959. Alternatively you may contact a local advocate dealing with Arms Act related matters. He will most probably have the information about these notifications valid to your State.

Anything that is not less than hundred year old may be considered as antiquity according to Antiquities and Art Treasures Act 1972 and thus Section 45(c) of Arms Act 1959 may be applicable.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     26 May 2016

According to INDIAN ARMS ACT 1959 Pepper spray is legal and any knife\weapon with blade larger than 5 inch (excluding the handle) is considered sword and is illegal. There are some  exemptions for sikh community regarding the sword. 

The weapons are grouped in four categories: A, B, C and D. 

Weapons of A category are military weapons and only police and military can have them. Soldiers and police officers can have them only while they are on duty. These are military missiles, automatic fire arms, firearms hidden in other objects, explosives, semi-automatic weapons if it is similar to automatic weapons… Civilians can’t get license for weapons of A category. 

Weapons of B category are almost all semiautomatic short and long firearms that are not in A category (hunting weapons), pistols, old weapons… There are five licensees for such weapons that civilians can get. First is hunting license (person can have it at home and carry it only in hunting or shooting sport club). Second license is license for possessing firearms (person can have weapon at home fir protection but it is not allowed to carry it around expect in sport club for practicing shooting). It is not easy to get such license. Third license is for possessing and carrying weapons (it is almost impossible to get such license). People who work as security can get it, but they are allowed to carry guns around only while they are at work. Forth license is for members of sport shooting club and they are allowed only to have gun at home and in club. Last license is on for old weapons. Collectors can get it, but most of weapons will be deactivated. 

Weapons of C category are gas guns, old firearms and reproductions of old firearms where you put black powder in pipe. For such weapons you do not need license, but you have to report to the police that you have it. 

Weapons of D category are air guns, bows and crossbows, electric shockers, pepper  sprays and cold weapons (including bayonets ), for these U don't need license but cannot carry in public places.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     27 May 2016

I would humbly request our learned friends to avoid giving personal opinions that have no basis in the common law or the enactment in question. For example five inch limitation, requirement of deactivation of antique or obsolete pattern weapons etc. under Section 45(c) of Arms Act 1959 are just myths or figment of imagination and have no basis in Arms Act 1959 and its Rules. Also the query is related with "arms other than firearms".

Arms other than firearms are regulated under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 only and only if there is a Notification issued under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959. This must be understood. This can be understood by combined reading of Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 with Rules 18 & 19 of Arms Rules 1962. There are some States that have no Notification in force under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959. That is why it was suggested to file an RTI with Home Department of the State government or contact local advocate who may have the copies of latest Notifications. If no Notification is in force then there is no restriction or regulation of "arms other than firearms" under Arms Act 1959.

There is nothing under Arms Rules 1962 that is categorizing the weapons into A, B, C, and D categories. Instead they are Categorized as Category I, II, III, IV, V and VI in Schedule I of Arms Rules 1962. Licenses for Category I are rarely issued to private citizens. But if license issued by Central government, then they are perfectly legal. Sometimes law is nothing but playing with the words. Legally license is equal to permission and permission is equal to license. Hope the learned friends have got the clue to the trick done in the wordings of Section 7 of Arms Act 1959.

For those interested in understanding the matter related to Arms Act 1959 may read the following link https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Objections-against-proposed-arms-rules-2015-121734.asp

Since arms are a foundational fundamental human right under Articles 19(1)(b), 21, 25 and many more articles of the Constitution, that is why the Sikhs can wear or carry swords even in the Court rooms. To know more about this one can read the Punjab and Haryana High Court judgment CWP 9013 of 2015 delivered on March 16, 2016.

HIGH COURT OF PUNJAB AND HARYANA AT CHANDIGARH

CWP No.9013 of 2015

Date of Decision: March 16, 2016

Dilawar Singh ...Petitioner

versus

State of Haryana ...Respondent

CORAM: HON'BLE MR. JUSTICE HARINDER SINGH SIDHU

Present: - Mr. Navkiran Singh, Advocate
Mr. Navrattan Singh, Advocate
Mr. Harjeet Singh, Advocate
Mr. Surajpreet Singh, Advocate
for the petitioner.
Mr. R.K.S. Brar, Addl. A.G., Haryana

Portion from the judgement -

The sword is considered synonymous with God, the Primal generative principle, the supreme power to sustain moral order and to annihilate negative forces. In this way the Guru conveyed to the Khalsa, as an individual as well as a corporate body, that they, as wielders of the sword, should cast themselves in the mould of God, with all these attributes. Unlike a dagger, which is associated with secret attack, the sword is associated with open combat, governed by certain ethical principles. Thus, the sword of the Khalsa is the assertion of this right to freedom. To quote Kapur Singh:

(The Sword) is by ancient tradition and association, a typical weapon of offence and defence, and hence a fundamental right to wear, of the free man and woman, a sovereign individual. All governments and rulers, whether ancient or modern, have and do insist to wear arms. Indeed in final analysis, a government or the state is sustained and supported by the organised might and exclusive right of possession of arms, a citizen's right to wear arms being conceded as only of a permissive and licensed character. It follows from this that the measure of freedom to possess and wear arms by an individual is the precise measure of his freedom and sovereignty. Since a member of the Khalsa brotherhood is pledged not to accept any alien restrictions on his/her civic freedom, he/ she is enjoined upon to insist on and struggle for his or her unrestricted right to wear and possess arms of offence and defence.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     27 May 2016

Dear Democratic Indian,

The extract I have pasted is not my own but from the Indian Arms Act 1959.What is it that U require from the forum.U are well versed with the Arms Act either on own or through the study of the Act.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     27 May 2016

Originally posted by : SAINATH DEVALLA
Dear Democratic Indian,

The extract I have pasted is not my own but from the Indian Arms Act 1959.What is it that U require from the forum.U are well versed with the Arms Act either on own or through the study of the Act.

Dear Sainath Devalla Ji,

I am unable to find anything like five inch restriction in Arms Act 1959, or deactivation/ damaging of weapons of antiquity or obsolete pattern under Section 45(c) of Arms Act 1959 or Categories A, B, C or D anywhere in Arms Act 1959 or it's Rules. If you could please mention the specific sections or subsections of Arms Act 1959 or it's Rules that say so. Or you could check if you have the correct copy of Arms Act 1959? If not, then you may download the copy of Arms Act 1959, it's Arms Rules 1962 and Notifications from the website of Ministry of Home Affairs and enlighten the forum.

What I want from the forum? Before I answer your question, may I ask what do you want from the forum? This forum is a great forum, where all can learn a lot by discussing many things related to law. Nobody is perfect or nobody knows everything and we all are humans, we can do mistakes. But we learn from our mistakes.

I am certainly not well versed with any law including Arms Act 1959. May be you are. Law is such a vast topic, I consider myself forever a humble student of law and open to learn every moment. And certainly looking forward from this forum to learn a lot.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register