LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil (director)     16 November 2009

Tax Liability on Share after Relinquishment

I had a share in my grandfather's property, which I relinquished in favour of my uncle 20 years back. Now my uncle is selling the property and wants to give me my share on moral grounds. What tax liability will my uncle have? Will I also have tax liability on the amount received? Please advise.

Learning

5 Replies

Vineet (Director)     16 November 2009

I presume that your Uncle is real brother of your father.

Any gift of property or part in property from your uncle to you does not attract any tax liability in the hands of both of you.

There is no gift tax in the hands of donor and in the hands of recipient, since the gift is coming from one of the specified relatives, it will not be included in his taxable income.

1 Like

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     16 November 2009

Depending upon the nature of the capital asset and the manner of utilisation of the consideration received on transfer, various exemptions are available. For full details, Sections 54, 54B, 54D, 54EA, 54EB,54EC, 54F, 54G and 54H of the Income-tax Act may be referred. The provision of 54EA and 54EB has been withdrawn with effect from 1.4.2000 and new section 54 EC has been inserted. Under Section 54EC investments should be made in:

National Highways Authority of India & Rural Electrification Corporation Limited. 

Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to clarify, in case that lets you give me a more pointed answer:

The donor is my own maternal uncle. Property was bought by my maternal grandfather, which was gifted to his wife (grandmother). Later inherited by 5 children. Since I inherited a slice (coz my mother died), I had given him relinquishment 20 years back. Now he is selling the property and wants to give me my complete share. The plot is almost 35 years old. House on the land is also 32 years old.

But Mr Vineet, what about Capital Gains or Weath Tax?

Vineet (Director)     16 November 2009

Mr Sunil,

Your relinquishment of right in past is immaterial, as any gift from siblings of your parents is tax free in your hand.

Coming to pointed reply, it appears that your uncle is gifting you your share in the sale proceeds and not the actual property (As he is selling the property). Hence it is a simple case of gift of money.

No capital gains are leviable in the transfers in the nature of gift. In your case as the gift itself is in form of money, the same does not fall under the ambit of capital gains at all.

Lastly, about wealth tax, if you do not keep the gift received in form of cash, jewellery, car, urban plot or other specified items includible in wealth, atleast this amount will not be included in taxable wealth.

Hope it resolves your query. So enjoy the gift without any worries.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register