LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     02 November 2010

92-year-old beaten, thrown out of home by daughter-in-law

Here comes another case of Elder Abuse from India… that too from Mumbai,  a city considered safe for women in India !

But then as evident this city was seemingly unable to protect a 92 year old woman, Laxmibai Laxmidas Paleja from getting abused and beaten up by her own daughter-in-law, Darshana.

Darshana allegedly inflicted physical injuries on the 92 year old Laxmibai by kicking, abusing and beating her. The old woman was not only badly beaten but also thrown out of her house and dumped at her daughter’s place, as reported by the media. Her condition was said to be so bad that she had to be immediately shifted to a hospital. Laxmibai Paleja is now admitted in Harkisondas Hospital in Mumbai. She says:

Don’t curse me by wishing me health. When I close my eyes to sleep I pray they may never open again.

How much I wish she would never say so !

But then this growing menace of Elder Abuse is leaving no choice for elderlies. When forced to live under such inhuman conditions they all end up looking forward to death… the ultimate release.

Laxmibai Paleja further said :

My grandson kicked me on my face and my daughter-in-law abused me. It was after my son died that they started ill-treating me. They would call me useless and force me to do work even though I can barely walk because of my age. Finally, they just threw me out of the house, saying I had nothing to do with them.

Her son died of a paralytic attack in December last year.  She says she was abused because her daughter-in-law and grandson were fed up of taking care of her.

Police complaint
On a complaint from Laxmibai’s daughters the Police registered a non-cognizable complaint (which means police shall not arrest without a warrant). Which only means that Darshana and her son have nothing to fear.

But legal experts opine that this case should have been registered as a criminal offence.

Parents cannot be evicted without the due process of law, if they have been staying there from before. There are number of enactments which can be applied. Firstly, under Section 125 CrPC, a magistrate can order the child to maintain his old parents. Secondly, Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act says an aged parent can demand maintenance from the same way a wife can demand from her husband. Also, the Domestic Violence Act provides parents with the Rights to seek relief.

Grandchildren & Elderlies 
A closer look at this case throws up a disturbing fact. It speaks of the behaviour of younger generation (grandson) towards elderlies.  And this certainly is a serious cause of concern for the future health of India.

Learning

8 Replies

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     02 November 2010

Very sad incident and trend. Elders r asset.

1 Like

(Guest)

Sociologists say the pressures of modern life and individualistic aspirations of the young are among reasons why the elderly are being abandoned or abused. India has more 60m men and women older than 65 and their problems are likely to get sidelined.

You said the Imp news and now I add something that the victim Laxmibai Laxmidas Paleja said and here it is;

BBC had covered the story of Laxmibai Laxmidas Paleja in Mumbai, whose grandson and daughter in law were abusing her and speaks of Laxmibai’s hapless condition "I’m old. I couldn’t defend myself. I was bleeding all over. I’ve got bruises all over my body. Then they just bundled me in a car and dumped me here at my daughter’s house."

But more children are now leaving their parental homes to set up their own. Sociologists say the pressures of modern life and the more individualistic aspirations of the young are among reasons why the elderly are being abandoned or, in some cases, abused.

Delhi, university professor Kum Kum Srivastava makes a telling comment when she says, "I think this a child-oriented society, not a parent-oriented one anymore." Meanwhile, demographically, India is getting younger as a nation and the problems and aspirations of the youth alone are increasingly getting centre stage. But even so, India has more 60m men and women older than 65 and the problems of the elderly are multiplying, and with societal trends going the way they are, the problems of the elderly are likely to get more and more sidelined."

An lastly it’s a good joke that avnish said Mumbai,  a city considered safe for women in India ! Who said Mumbai is safe for women? I have a reason for this but cant said here .Ok,in this case Strict punishment needs to be given to these people. This should scare others from hurting the elderly.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     02 November 2010

v.sad incident..

mumbai may be safe on roads.but who can control what happens within 4 walls of the house?

i guess there must be tensions b/w the mother inlaw and daughter inlaw since a long time.so why the daughters cud not take care of the lady,rather than leaving her in the mercy of violent daughter inlaw?

1 Like

(Guest)

For safty in a city this is a beautiful quote ;

“Maybe mistakes are what make our fate... without them what would shape our lives? Maybe if we had never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, have babies, or be who we are. After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away--Sex and the City quotes,A TV Show

“When you're young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then, you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don't leap at all because there's not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there's no safety net. When did it stop being fun and start being scary?” --Sex and the City quotes,A TV show 

A COUPLE of days ago, I opened up the newspaper to read that an elderly couple living in an upper middle class locality had committed suicide suddenly. There was no ostensible reason for this, but the newspaper reported that they were desperately lonely and a point came when they felt that they could not endure it any longer. They had several children; their youngest lived with them, but the others; married and with families of their own lived within a couple of hundred miles.--Shantanu Datta

2 Like

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     03 November 2010

The news is very sad and at the same time cause  anger and fury. It is an alert for human rights organisations  to work seriously on building support systems and  awareness generations on the legal and social rights of  elderlies among elderlies and young generations alike. 

There are many many households  where daughter in law, and sons( though in this case the cruelty started after the death of the son) may ill treat elderly in laws. One thing which we often forget is that women are not a homogeneous group. Age, marital status( married--(among married newly wedded) unmarried, widow, divorced, deserted) , and class cut across and differentiate different groups of women in terms of power, and vulnerabilities. 

The perpetrators deserve strict punishment which should be well publicized. 

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     03 November 2010

VERY SAD NEWS.

GOVT ORGANISED OLD AGE HOME MAY BE A SOLVATION OF IT.

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     03 November 2010

govt organised old age homes are in v.bad shape.elderlies are not treated well...go and have a look urself.

(Guest)

govt organised old age homes are in v.bad shape.elderlies are not treated well...go and have a look urself.

Why because of corruption 

Is corruption ka koi solution nahi hai ?

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register