LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

CSD , URCs and Troops

I am on the process of preparing a PIL . This is about running of URCs ( Unit Run Canteens ) by the CDA staff/Est. Canteen Stores Deaprtment ( CSD ) is a solyly owned govt undertaking which procure liquors and household goods from the manufacturers/Traders at wholesale rates and sale it to the troops through the retail outlets the URCs ( Unit Run Canteens ) https://www.csdindia.com  refers.

As per the URC manuals published by the CSD , adelphi , Mumbai CSD goods are procured by them and sold exclusively to the troops and their families including retired personnel wherever they are . To facilitale now the CSD has 34 CSD Depots in the country which stocks CSD goods .

According to the URC manuals URCs are not part of CSD and not public funded. URCs are funded by the Army Units and run on their own steam . It is another matter that Army Units are public properties . Anyway CSD ,Adelphi , Mumbai publishes the URC manual on a regular interval at the cost of the govt exchequers for the benefit of those URCs.

Now who are all eligible for the canteen facilities ? According to the URC Manual they only cater for the troops and their families . As per their statistics 90% of the sales are for indian Jawans and remaining for others .Who are these others ?

Is there a govt order in black and white defining troops ? Is there a SC ruling on the subject? Which is the competent auth to extend canteen facility to civilian govt employees paid out of Defence Estimates ? And then extended to civilian govt employees paid out Defence Civil Estimates ?

Funny but it is true that Controllers of Defence Acct incl its head office have been allowed to run their own URC at their own location for their own employees . In other words civilian govt employees posted to CDA Est are now included as troops by the august body called canteen Stores Deptt , adelphi , Mumbai . And to justify that they have an Army Order 584/73 ( means published in the year 1973). And to support that Army Order they have a Board of Control Canteen Services( chaired by the Defence Minister )  Minutes of Meeting 53/56 th held in the year 1986.

Can the definition of troops in the indian context if already interpreted by SC be made available to me through this forum to enable me do my bit for our lovely country ?

Learning

7 Replies

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     15 July 2010

Its an welcom move, indeed. Be armed subject-wise to fight out this ills of army procurement systems.

Best of luck. 

1 Like

(Guest)

i am att the email submitted to the DAPRG  for your comments pl

Regards

Haridas

Attached File : 6 6 pil draft.rtf downloaded: 163 times

(Guest)
Originally posted by :haridas mandal
"
I am on the process of preparing a PIL . This is about running of URCs ( Unit Run Canteens ) by the CDA staff/Est. Canteen Stores Deaprtment ( CSD ) is a solyly owned govt undertaking which procure liquors and household goods from the manufacturers/Traders at wholesale rates and sale it to the troops through the retail outlets the URCs ( Unit Run Canteens ) https://www.csdindia.com  refers.

As per the URC manuals published by the CSD , adelphi , Mumbai CSD goods are procured by them and sold exclusively to the troops and their families including retired personnel wherever they are . To facilitale now the CSD has 34 CSD Depots in the country which stocks CSD goods .

According to the URC manuals URCs are not part of CSD and not public funded. URCs are funded by the Army Units and run on their own steam . It is another matter that Army Units are public properties . Anyway CSD ,Adelphi , Mumbai publishes the URC manual on a regular interval at the cost of the govt exchequers for the benefit of those URCs.

Now who are all eligible for the canteen facilities ? According to the URC Manual they only cater for the troops and their families . As per their statistics 90% of the sales are for indian Jawans and remaining for others .Who are these others ?

Is there a govt order in black and white defining troops ? Is there a SC ruling on the subject? Which is the competent auth to extend canteen facility to civilian govt employees paid out of Defence Estimates ? And then extended to civilian govt employees paid out Defence Civil Estimates ?

Funny but it is true that Controllers of Defence Acct incl its head office have been allowed to run their own URC at their own location for their own employees . In other words civilian govt employees posted to CDA Est are now included as troops by the august body called canteen Stores Deptt , adelphi , Mumbai . And to justify that they have an Army Order 584/73 ( means published in the year 1973). And to support that Army Order they have a Board of Control Canteen Services( chaired by the Defence Minister )  Minutes of Meeting 53/56 th held in the year 1986.

Can the definition of troops in the indian context if already interpreted by SC be made available to me through this forum to enable me do my bit for our lovely country ?
"

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     01 August 2010

Sir, u may search any Hon. SC judgement on this topic at

indiankanoon.org

Is a wonderful site/legal search engine to get all judgements of all the HCs and SC.

1 Like

(Guest)

Thank you very much for the info . Let me search the site at once . I will comeback and update all of you . In case you have some points to add pl do so as it is for the common good and to root out corruption from the top echlon.

(Guest)

Need some help in prep my PIL.

i) Where can I get the exact govt order for creating CSD deptt under Min of Def for supply of CSD goods only to the troops - I mean how to find it in black and white .

ii) Can Min of Def add or delete the constitutional order to Est CSD deptt to provide CSD goods to the troops . I mean can it keep on enlarging the scope for expansion of CSD?

iii ) Can civilians govt employees be included as a goodwill gesture ( read not doing proper audit thus helping Military Commanders to loot and scoot govt funds?

(Guest)
Originally posted by :haridas mandal
"

"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register