LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

hanumanjoshi (propritier)     06 October 2011

Consumer protection

sir i have purchased 4 villas at hyderabad through a reputed builder but he have not delivered the villas as per agreement in july 2009 date of delivery i hve paid him 87% of the villas cost long before through loan taken from kotak bank the EMI also started recently i have filed a case in consumer court to cancelled the villas and pay my money back with intrest which i have paid to kotak bank and 10 lakhs as damages for each villas. can i win this case if any recent judgement please forward me it will be very useful to me.

Learning

3 Replies

ajay sethi (lawyer)     06 October 2011

The predicament faced by the persons who deal with builders and promoters, was

noticed by this Court in Friends Colony Development Committee vs. State of Orissa

[2004 (8) SCC 733] in a different context while dealing with town planning laws:

"Builders violate with impunity the sanctioned building plans and indulge

deviations much to the prejudice of the planned development of the city and at the

peril of the occupants of the premises constructed or of the inhabitants of the city

at large. Serious threat is posed to ecology and environment and, at the same time,

the infrastructure consisting of water supply, sewerage and traffic movement

facilities suffer unbearable burden and are often thrown out of gear. Unwary

purchasers in search of roof over their heads and purchasing flats/apartments from

builders, find themselves having fallen prey and become victims to the design of

unscrupulous builders. The builder conveniently walks away having pocketed the

money leaving behind the unfortunate occupants to face the music in the event of

unauthorized constructions being detected or exposed and threatened with

demolition. Though the local authorities have the staff consisting of engineers and

inspectors whose duty is to keep a watch on building 18 activities and to promptly

stop the illegal constructions or deviations coming up, they often fail in

discharging their duty. Either they don't act or do not act promptly or do connive

at such activities apparently for illegitimate considerations. If such activities are to

stop, some stringent actions are required to be taken by ruthlessly demolishing the

illegal constructions and non-compoundable deviations. The unwary purchasers

who shall be the sufferers must be adequately compensated by the builder. The

arms of the law must stretch to catch hold of such unscrupulous builders. At the

same time in order to secure vigilant performance of duties, responsibility should

be fixed on the officials whose duty was to prevent unauthorized construction, but

who failed in doing so either by negligence or connivance." [Emphasis supplied]

Krish Narayan (Advocate)     07 October 2011

yes.. u can...

Shailesh Kr. Shah (Advocate)     07 October 2011

why you have doubt?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register