LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Karthikeyan (Employee)     30 January 2024

Compensation for Employer's Faults

Respected Sir/Madam,

My relative was working as driver and died when he was driving the company’s vehicle. The company is covered under both EPF and ESI.

However, the company did not cover him under EPF but covered under ESI.

During his service, the driver worked overtime also as per company requirements. However, he was paid only single rate of salary, even after requesting the company for double rate.

He was eligible person under EPF. When he was alive, he was frequently requested the company to cover him under EPF. However company did not covered him under EPF.

It was company’s default for not covering him under EPF.

The driver had four dependents: his mother, his wife and his two children. All of them are legal heirs of the driver.

After the driver’s on-duty death, his wife approached the EPFO. After EPFO’s Order the company paid the contribution and the driver’s legal heirs got PF, EDLI and Pension. However, the driver’s mother has not received pension under EPF saying her age is 58.

It took around two-and-half years to get EPF benefits for her. She taken many efforts to get EPF benefits like petitioning the EPFO, regular follow-ups, and she incurred expenses also.

She suffered mental agony and frustration during her continuous efforts to get EPF benefits.

My Queries are:

1. For the mental agony and frustration suffered and expenses incurred by driver’s wife, can she claim for damages / compensation from the company as not covering the driver under EPF was company’s fault?

2. Can she claim for double rate of wages entitled to his deceased husband which was denied by the company?

3. If she can claim, please advise the appropriate law and forum. Please advise any case laws also.

4. Is there any possibility for the mother of the deceased driver to get pension under EPF?

Thank you for your kind support.


 3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 January 2024

1.  There is no provision in law for claiming the expenses incurred by the wife to get her PF amount paid through the authorities concerned.

2. The deceased shouild have claimed it during his lifetime , the company will straightaway deny stating that he never worked overtime

3. The EPF scheme vconditions are to be perused to render proepr opinion in this regard. 



Request to get a contact details for the STATE LEGAL AID SERVUCES. They always provide you FREE LEGAL SERVICES. In such cases they will be there to provide free legal services. 

Further whenever, you or any posts such queries it is desirable that you mention the name of state and place where you are based and place of incident. 

Karthikeyan (Employee)     01 February 2024

Sir, thanks for your kind efforts

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register