LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ash (none)     17 December 2009

Clarification needed for surname change after marriage

I got married a decade ago. We are both hindus. Promptly, I got my marriage certificate. Based on the marriage certificate, I got my surname changed in my Pan card & passport. All my accounts have also been changed.  My identity is with my married surname.

After all these years with no problems, I was confused when someone told me differently.  Is this process of  identity change (i.e. to married surname) legal? Do I have to necessarily get a court order or publish my name on the gazzette for this surname change due to marriage?

Any clarifications on this would be appreciated...

Thxs.

Learning

2 Replies

aman kumar (SUPERVISER)     17 December 2009

process of  identity change is  legal but not compalsary you have not to necessarily get a court order or publish your  name on the gazzette for this surname change due to marriage after all you do all legal formalties than you can publish in news papers surname change due to marriage for your comfart ! bot plz tell me why you changed your surname ???

all you can do in such manner  as hema -malini -deol, ash- sharma - kapor now it is in fashan

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 December 2009

No illegality is involved. If you so desired, you could have carried your pre-marriage surname as well as the married surname.

It is an accepted practice, particularly in Kerala, to write own name, followed by father's name and then followed by grandfather's name. Sometimes, they write village name as well. In North India, father's name is not added.

In Maharashtra, it is compulsory to add father's name. I find that in medical and engineering colleges, own name, father's name, mother's name and surname are compulsorily written and it is printed in the certificate/degree also. 

Suppose a man from U.P. has a passport with name Krishnakant Sharma. His B.E. degree obtained in Maharashtra would show "Krishnakant Shankarlal Mahadevi Sharma" where Shankarlal is his father and Mahadevi his mother. When he goes to US Consulate for Visa, he has hell of a job convincing them that he is the same man. Government says this prevents fraud.

We are guinea pigs and government is experimenting with us.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register