LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Varun Kumar (SE)     10 December 2014

Claim marriage expenses



 Can marriage expenses and   jewels gifted to girl  be claimed ? when file for divorce ? 




 6 Replies

rising up again (FFF)     10 December 2014

oh yes.... she will ask for much more.... than what they had spent..  even for stridhan...which she will claim was in lakhs and lakhs..... 

sab dena hi padhta hai !!!  





Varun Kumar (SE)     11 December 2014

We dont need single paisa from her.. All we want is what expenses occured in the marriage and Jewels we gifted her in the marriage.



Is it ok ask them thru police that Write down all they got and give and we will do the same.. Exchange each others belongings.. Then proceed for divorce >>>>>

Rajkiran123 (Manager)     12 December 2014

Even I have posted a similar question but there was no response. Looks like only wife can claim back her belonging by filing 406 but husband do not have options to claim his stuff back from wife :(

Experts, please advise...............


Hi Guys,

Why are you sad?  Nothing of that sort.  What you have given to the wife, she will have to give it   back provided you have original VAT bills for the same once the divorce is granted.  She cannot keep such with her.  Be it mutual fund documents, FD receipts, Jewellery given to her, locker keys where you have kept your valuables.  SO dont worry you men out there.  She will have to give back everything.  And you need to give back only those things which are in your custody, whose bills she produce, she cannot show fake bills and claim things which are not with you or she has take back.  If she produces fake bills, she go jail.  As simple as that and that fool who gave her fake bills also will go to jail along with her. Evasion of tax is a crime.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 December 2014

The items given as gift to her during marriage by people from her side as well you and your side will become her own exclusive property called 'streedhan' which you cannot deny if you are in possession of them.  As far as marriage expenses neither she can claim nor you can, however in a divorce petition she may claim it as a compensation which generally courts do not give much weight.

gautam (not disclosed)     16 December 2014

@Helping Hand,

I have also read that any gifts bestowed to wife by groom (or groom's family) becomes exclusive property of the bride and will be her 'streedhan', how can husband claim it back?.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads