LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

syam inkollu   26 March 2020

cheque bounce section

here when i searched for section 138 it is showing about soldiers and sub marines in this app.But when i searched about cheque bounce section in google it showed me section 138, so what is the perfect app for updated sections.And now what is tje section for cheque bounce case


 10 Replies

Rohit Krishan Naagpal (Advocate)     26 March 2020

different acts/statutes for different rights and liabilties !

For cheque dishonour look into The Negotiable Instruments Act 1881 

from Section 138 to 147 will be relevant.



Rohit K Naagpal

2 Like

syam inkollu   26 March 2020

so this app doesnt help for that.i cant find in this app about cheque bounce

Free Legal Help India   26 March 2020


Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     26 March 2020

Section 138 read with section !42 NIA ...

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     26 March 2020

Dear querist,

You can search as 138 of negotiable insturments act in app or you can search in google. 



Free Legal Help India   26 March 2020


G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     27 March 2020

The experts in the forum are not aware of the APP you have downloaded.  Search in google by quoting section and the Name of the act for entire details and case laws. (Search for Sec.138 Negotiable Instrument Act).

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 March 2020

Central Government Act
Section 138 in The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881
18 [ 138 Dishonour of cheque for insufficiency, etc., of funds in the account. —Where any cheque drawn by a person on an account maintained by him with a banker for payment of any amount of money to another person from out of that account for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability, is returned by the bank unpaid, either because of the amount of money standing to the credit of that account is insufficient to honour the cheque or that it exceeds the amount arranged to be paid from that account by an agreement made with that bank, such person shall be deemed to have committed an offence and shall, without prejudice to any other provisions of this Act, be punished with imprisonment for 19 [a term which may be extended to two years], or with fine which may extend to twice the amount of the cheque, or with both: Provided that nothing contained in this section shall apply unless—
(a) the cheque has been presented to the bank within a period of six months from the date on which it is drawn or within the period of its validity, whichever is earlier;
(b) the payee or the holder in due course of the cheque, as the case may be, makes a demand for the payment of the said amount of money by giving a notice in writing, to the drawer of the cheque, 20 [within thirty days] of the receipt of information by him from the bank regarding the return of the cheque as unpaid; and
(c) the drawer of such cheque fails to make the payment of the said amount of money to the payee or, as the case may be, to the holder in due course of the cheque, within fifteen days of the receipt of the said notice.

Explanation.— For the purposes of this section, “debt or other liability” means a legally enforceable debt or other liability.]



If you want to file a chquie bounce case you may contact an advocate in the local who will explain you the provisions very properly 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 March 2020

Vague, confused and incomplete facts can not lead to form an opinion and oblige.

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 March 2020

Yes, the posting lacks clarity. Please post simple facts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register