Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Michael (Proprietor)     20 October 2009

Cancelled marriage

hi,

This relates to the cancelled engagement of my nephew. My nephew liked a girl and they were carrying on for some time. But he got engaged to another girl due to  family pressures. Later on we came to know that the girl he got engaged to was not of a very good nature and marrying her would cause problems later on. So his parents decided to call off the engagement. However, the girls side people later on found out about my nephews affair with the other girl and are now threatening to file a case against him and his parents for cheating, i.e not disclosing the facts before the engagement. They are also threatening to defame them by publizing about their affair in the church and are blackmailing him just for nuisance value. They are not interested in continuing the marriage but just want to take revenge for cancelling the marriage.

My questions are:

Does the girls side have any legal recourse against my nephew?

Does my nephew have any legal recourse against them for blackmailing and harassing him and his family?

Please advise. Thanks.

Learning

3 Replies

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     20 October 2009

1) Practically speaking,No. They will not succeed in case they initiate any legal proceedings against your nephew. However, they may file false cases just to harass you.

2) Your nephew may report the matter to the local police; and may institute private complaint before the Magistrate. 

(Guest)

1) That depends upon girls family's social status. If the girls parents feel that your nephew's family defamed them in the society, girl's parents may file defamation.Because engagement was done with the girl.

2)  Yes. Your nephew can lodge a complaint with police for blackmailing and harassment.

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     21 October 2009

your nephew or his parents can lodge complaint for blaink mailing and told the police that this is the reason for break off the marriage.

Regards

adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register