LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Costa Rica (N/A)     18 February 2014

Can wife claim

If a Wife's salary/income is lesser than the Husband's salary/income [say she earns just 1/4th of whatever her husband earns] is she eligible for maintenance/permanent alimony?

Is it true that there are chances for a Wife to give maintenance to Husband?  

Learning

7 Replies

cyberlawyer (barrister)     18 February 2014

I am not sure on that point if wife's salary is higher than husband's income, she is entitled to maintenance or not , but i am pretty sure that there is no law till today which supports demand of maintenance from wife. 

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     19 February 2014

Usually when a woman ends up giving maintenance to man, it means that her advocate has a single-digit-IQ, was most likely bribed or went drunk to the hearing or the Judge has a daughter who was financially abused by her husband.  That said, the law does allow for wife to pay maintenance to husband but such cases are rare. For example, if the husband is hospitalized or disabled recently and cannot work while the wife is qualified and is working.

If wife is earning 1/4th the husband's salaries, unless you (wife) have many kids, I don't think you need to worry. RELAX... Your salary is safe.

Costa Rica (N/A)     19 February 2014

Thank you Mr. Nazeem

Costa Rica (N/A)     19 February 2014

Thank you Mr. N

(Guest)

I differ from above replies...

There is straight forward law U/s 24 HMA that whoever is financially sound is liable to maintain other spouse. In this particular section there is no barred for any particular spouse. If a wife is earning more than husband and she is well settled in every aspect than her husband then her husband is very much eligible to file Maintenance U/s 24 HMA during the pendancy of any case under HMA.

Regards,

(ESIS)

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     19 February 2014

@Every savior... I said "the law does allow for wife to pay maintenance to husband but such cases are rare."

Agree with you and totally disagree with Mr. Nazeem:  "but i am pretty sure that there is no law till today which supports demand of maintenance from wife. " Such totally wrong statements give advocates a bad rep.

Kanchumati Subbarao (Consulting)     19 February 2014

I do agree with Mr Saviour.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register