LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ace hoser (Director)     03 March 2015

Can authorities award ZERO MARKS in interview

I am a post graduate in biology. I had applied for Headmistress post in Punjab govt. Out of the total 100 marks, 90 marks were to be given based on academic achievements and 10 marks were to be given on the base of interview. My academic score was good enough to get selected, But the interviewer gave me ZERO marks. ( I needed only 2 marks) Can I challenge this? How can a person get ZERO marks? I also filed an RTI asking about the criteria for awarding interview marks, and they gave a vague reply that "interview marks are given by interviewers on the basis of candidate s' performance". please guide.

Learning

6 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     03 March 2015

I think this can be challenged. Bias against you seems pretty obvious.What was your academic score ?

I think this can be challenged. Bias against you seems pretty obvious.What was your academic score ?

My merit is above 60. While most of the successful candidates are around 62-65.  The highest merit is around 72.

One more point to be noted is that some other candidates have also got 0 marks in interview. 

But my question is  what would be the basis of challenge? The "undefined criteria of awarding interview marks".   I think we should think in advance, the possible responses of the interviewers before the court. 

Also they shall probably try to defend their point strongly because the successful candidates have already been given appointment letters.

You have to consider the following :

1) in your honest opinion, how did you perform in the interview ?

2) how many other candidates got zero marks ? What was the total number of candidates against posts available ?

3) check interview marks against the academic marks of the Candidates. Do you see a reasonable pattern or do you find an inverse relationship - high academics and low interview - which would be unreasonable and illogical.

4) how has the pattern been in previous years ?

If posts were limited and many candidates scored above 60 in academics but got zero in interview then your case is weaker since only way to eliminate such candidates would be to give them zero in interview.

of course there  would be a strong defense and you have to proced carefully.

first of all, Thank you so much for your time and effort you put in. regarding my performance, i answered 3 out of 5 questions that were asked. 2 questions were about Punjab govt.'s current educational schemes that i couldn't answer properly. otherwise i have very good knowledge of my subject and work. to me, 0 marks feels quite nonsense and humiliating. 2) very few .. 1 - 2% or even less got 0 marks. 3) studied it but there was no obvious correlation between their academic and interview score. 4) interviews are very uncommon, but because it is a management level post, otherwise interviews were not held in previous years. Sir, can't the court ask the interviewers that what was their criteria of awarding interview marks. And how can they award 0 marks to a person who is reasonably sane, has reasonably good looks, has good knowledge of subject, had been teaching in a govt. recognised school for 7 years, a post graduate in science, B. Ed., according to Indian universities.... has correctly answered more than half of your questions..?? thanks in advance for your time sir.

Hardeep (Business)     04 March 2015

You may like to see :

https://www.upsc.gov.in/misc/PSCs/karnataka%20high%20court%20judgements/test/ch7.doc

Which gives a plethora of cases pertaining to selection in. Government jobs, with some on interview process as well. You may find some close to your situation and decide further.

generally, interview seems to be a highly discretionary process unless you have clear Evidences of some bias either for or against anyone.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register