Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shailesh Kumar (Head - Mktg. & Fin.)     23 August 2012

Can a builder sell the roof top terrace of apartment

Dear Sir/s,

I am staying in a 12 floor residential apartment in PCMC, Pune where building completion has been obtained by municipal authority in Apr'12 and there after Co-operative hos. society has been formed by him. But the deed of conveyance is pending. Now the builder is planning to sell the top floor flats i.e. 12th floor with exclusive right to use roof top terrace. Can he sell it or it it is a common area and all building members have proportionate right over it. Given to understand there is supreme court judgement in this reagrd. Can u share the judgement and advise what is the advisable legal or administrative options available to us in this regard. 

Regards,

Shailesh Kumar

Learning

5 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     23 August 2012

dear querist ,

you are right that the common area in housing society can not be sold out but if the builder is providing the same in ground floor ,the purpose of terrace used by the society people will held on the ground floor or it can be possible he had filled all the conditions for society houses as guidelines set up by the honourable SC. fOR THIS  you had to demand the records of that society from the registarr office,and in some cases ther is alos provison of sale of flats with teraace rights.feel free to call if left any query.

for people with remedies,

legalis consilio

Shailesh Kumar (Head - Mktg. & Fin.)     23 August 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks for ur quick response. Ground floor is sold out parking hence it can not replace the roof top purpose. Roof top has overhead water tank storage for drinking & fire  and lift room apart from open terrace where some members have fixed their disc antenas. Can u pl share any court judgement - HC/SC - in this regard. 

(Guest)

1. i request some member to inform where supreme court guideline can be  seen?

2. Terrace or top most roof of any building is iused for multiple tasks- Disc antenna fitting and servcing, water tanks and servciing, watre over flow pipe and servcing and emergency access in case of fire in building.

So how terrac eor roof of [partment houses building can be sold.It is worng and illegals.IUt should be taht way.roof should be maintianed by society  or below lying aprtment owners.

Am I correct? is there any legal support for my arguments?

Dilip (MTS)     06 December 2013

I'm planning to buy a flat in an under construction apartment in Bangalore. The builder, in the agreement has specified a similar clause like this. The clause is "That the sellers are hereby conveying to the purchaser that the open terrace rights shall always remain with the sellers only and the purchaser shall not have any right, title or interest whatsoever on the terrace portion."

Does it mean he can always construct one or more floors on the terrace whenever he wants ?

regards,

Dilip.

NC Mistry (Self)     01 December 2015

As I understand from various Acts and Rules on Construction and transfer of Apartment Buildings, Roof is part of common areas. Roofs serve as common areas and facilities for various purposes as mentioned by Dr. Gupta 2 years back. There are clear judgements of the Supreme Court that nothing can be sold if it is not a flat. If the common areas are not defined clearly by the builder during agreement it is at his peril. Entire areas and facilities other than flats belong to the flat owner jointly.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register