LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramchandra (individual)     12 December 2012

Breaking the engagement

My friend got engaged recently. She has hall receipt (she has made all expenses) and photos only as evidence of engagement. After engagement  she is suffering from  Rhumotied arthrities. Since it is in early stage it is curable in six months as rhumatalogist says. but her would be Husbands parents want to break engagement. She don't want money but want to marry with him .Any legal remady is there?


 7 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     12 December 2012



In my view, this is a case where only engagement has taken place and it is now choice of the husband to take the decision. Unless marriage is not performed, no one can force any of the parties to get married without consent.


Additionally, it would be important to note that this type of decease is curable or not. If the doctor certifies that this decease is curable and nothing in subsequent days of life would get affected again then the groom's family can be convinced about this.


It is expedient that the mediators or elders of both family resolve the conflict amicably else it might get very dirty if you try to get legal assistance. A legal case once sent to a court would fall en-route to final conclusion which may take 3yr-4yr or may be even more. If this is acceptable and you wish to ruin the coming wonderful years of both parties, so be it!


It is imperative that you decide your stance and stand still on that. Don't look back to bad past but look ahead to bright future. There is nothing criminal as such in this complaint and in my view, it would not culminate into desired results for the bride. All the best!




RK (adada)     12 December 2012

Ram Chandra

Your friend can ask for share in expenses an resolve this dispute amicably since legally she wont get any relief and court procedure is also very time consuming.

tell your friend that there is no point in wasting time when there is no relation

Goutam Prasad (Advocate)     12 December 2012

I am sorry of the developments that happend to you. But, unfortunately, there is no remedy in law as no one can force any one to marry someone. Its matter of choice.

You have stated that the engagement was broke by providing reason of disease, but the same could be broke even without any reason with no legal remedy.

It is advisable to look for future or if you are so much got emotionally attached you should talk him again in calm mood.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     12 December 2012


very heart touching that you want to be with that person with whom you got engaged in your life but unfourtunate that you being diagnosied with Rhumotied arthrities. 

any one will advice not to go for legal solution becuase once you go for that you would take long time and also now you have to take about your health. best advice as the doctor has adviced to take medicines for 6 months and being in first stage 

Take him to the doctor and discuss brifly with doctor and decide yourself before that you should be confident 

ambrish (service)     12 December 2012

matrimonial law does not have any remedy...if your friend so wisht  can try criminal breach of trust and /or specific performance of contract.

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     12 December 2012

Saurabh V, you given beautiful answer....

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     12 December 2012

no remedy           

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register