Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 June 2021

The word was modernly coined and it is more of moral, ethical, and decency of individual's perception.  As per my knowledge, those casual remarks used for identity or in anger may not be a cause for filing a police complaint.  If they are repeated it becomes a nuisance and can be complained about.  If there is a possibility of correction, these comments serve for taking immediate corrective steps before the problem affects the individual..

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 July 2021

Under Section 509 of the IPC, obscene gestures, indecent body language and negative comments directed at any woman or girl or exhibiting any object which intrudes upon the privacy of a woman, carries a penalty of imprisonment for one year or a fine or both.

the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Protection and Redressal) Act 2013 has also helped women to fight against body shaming. Before this Act, many women were humiliated by comments and gestures hampering their modesty. Section 354 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860 also provides against outraging of modesty of women.

Although Indian law does not use the term Eve teasing, victims earlier usually seek recourse through Section 294 of the Indian Penal Code, which sentences a man found guilty of making a girl or woman the target of obscene gestures, remarks, songs or recitation to a maximum jail sentence of three months.

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 July 2021

In my understanding such specific instances of 'body shaming' could be a cause of action for a civil wrong. However, this is an untested ground.

Poo S   26 March 2023

Someone has called me Moti (not specidied my name) but one can make its said to me only and its been few month ans stuck in my hear CAN I file complain now.attaching the whats app SS as well. The below clear that guy after asking about my family CALLED ME AS MOTI onto which my Sister has replied as well

Attached File : 938573 20230326234252 body shaming.jpg downloaded: 98 times

Charlie Jone   15 April 2023

Yes, For example, if a person is being harassed or discriminated against in the workplace because of their body size, they may be protected by anti-discrimination laws. Similarly, if someone is being bullied or harassed on social media or in public spaces because of their fnf physical appearance, it may be considered a form of harassment under the law.

Nikhila Gonsalves   19 April 2023

Can I get more info about this?

Honorah Pascal   15 June 2023

Thank you 👍

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register