My wife didn't want to live with me anymore. So her parents wanted to claim money from us
citing that they have spent money for marriage etc. They threatened to put false 498a case against us.
On advice of our well wishers, who explained us the cruality of 498a cases, we decided for a peaceful settlement for the sum of 10L. My uncle's friend acted as mediator between both the parties.
As a part of the settlement (made on a white paper with legal stamps signed by me, my father, my wife, my father in law and few relatives on both sides as witnesses)
1. We returned all the items that were given to us during marriage
2. We gave them 2 cheques - 5 Lakhs cheque dated Oct 12 and 5 Lakhs cheque dated Nov 12
3. They are supposed to give us the gold that we gave them during marriage after final settlement
4. We shall mutually go for divorce.
Few days after this settlement, they called the mediator and told him that they know a lawyer who can get our divorce done in 4 months. We met at their lawyers residence and we reached upon a new agreement. The old agreement was torn. However we still have colour printouts fo the old agreement
As per the new memorandum of understanding:
1. We shall pay them 5 Lakhs initially which we did and we took 5 Lakhs cheque dated Oct 12
2. Other 5 Lakhs shall be paid after getting divorce.
They still have the Nov 5 Lakhs cheque and also the gold that we gave them during marriage.
Yesterday my father in law called the mediator and asked for the 5 Lakhs. Mediator told him that if they give our gold then we can give 2.5 Lakhs and other 2.5 Lakhs after divorce. But they didn't agree and my father in law blackmailed saying he will try to encash the cheque and when it bounces file criminal charge against us.
1. Can we take any action against us by reporting to police or is there any other means to punish such people who try to take advantage of innocent people?
2. If they go ahead and encash the cheque and file case against us what action should we take?
Please guide me in this regard.