LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul   17 October 2017

Betting suicide- 174crpc

A friend of us committed suicide after loosing money in betting. In the suicide note he has written that ´┐Żbetting is his bad habit and only betting is responsible for his death and no one is responsible for his death ´┐Ż and the case is registerd u/s 174 crpc.. after 4 odd months his friends get a call from the police station for investigation. In the investigation the friends agree that they used to bet with the deceased and whatsapp chat is also present. But there is no kind of pressure/force from any one of them, just normal asking of payment.. The police is calling his friends regularly to the police station. Can you guide us what will be the status of this case..? Will the people who bet with him can be held liable..? If yes under what section can this case be registered ? Thanking you in advance, Rahul


 5 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     18 October 2017

You and friends can be prosecuted under IPC-306, if the police so decides.

Pawan S (Advocate)     18 October 2017

Assist the police in the investigation. The suicide note clearly indicates no one is responsible. They are trying to investigate the entire circumstance and trying to find out whether anyone has compelled the deceased to suicide. Also trying to verify the suicide note. There are different views/angles involve during the investigation.

No valuable suggestion can be given at this point. Have the police to complete the probe.

Rahul   18 October 2017

What happens after being procecuted u/s 306.? How big is the offence..? Are we in trouble..? Should we apply for bail?

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     19 October 2017

Everything depends on the whims of the police. Be in contact with a good lawyer to call him, if necessary. Things can also subside with nothing happening. If police ever contacts you, keep a record of date, time and what transpired.

Jaspal singh (practicing lawyer)     21 October 2017

Dear Queriest, firslty i would like to suggest you to Whenever be you people called by the police for the purpose of investigation you must keep yourself ready to join the investigation and the case of under section 306 I.P.C  shall be registred in 154 CR.PC not in 174 Cr.PC.

whenever you people are called by the police officer he must provide you the notice firstly under section 160 or 41A Cr.p.c, keep the notice along with you and be in touch with local lawyer.

Moreover as suggest you by the others professionals too that  you can be prosecute under section 306 I.P.C(Abetment of suicide)  in this case police also can file a closer report or all of you can apply to get anticipotry bail and take the assistant of loca; lawyer for precaution.

In my opinion there is higher chances that police may file closer report in this case.


Jaspal S Maini(Adv)


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register