LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bipin A. (none)     07 September 2013

Bank statement

My father had a Bank Account in "Bank of India" till year 2005. We need a bank  statement of year 2000 for one important reason, but bank refused to gave us that information saying that they disposed all data. i just want to know for how long time bank maintain the consumer information. What i need to to do in this situation????
Thanks in Advance.

Learning

6 Replies

Kolla Gangadhar (Practicing Advocate since 1986)     07 September 2013

You apply under Right to information Act,2005. Or you may file case in the consumer court for relief against refusal order.

Bipin A. (none)     07 September 2013

Thank you very much Sir.... I will definitely do that...once again thank you.

NRI Legal Consulting (Consultant)     09 September 2013

You apply under Right to information Act,2005.

for further detail query us query@nrilegalconsulting.com

Bipin A. (none)     14 September 2013

Respected sir,

As per your Advice I ask "bank-Statement" information by RTI rule, but the authorize person in the bank refused to take  RTI application telling me that, I can't ask information of my own account. He told me that, by RTI rule I can ask about others information. secondly he told me by RBI( Reserve bank of india ) rule, after 8 year we disposed all data. you can't claim us, even you file the case in court we are safe as per reserve bank of india rule.

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     16 September 2013

As far as I understand RTI, the Bank can refuse providing this information not because this is your information, but because the following information cannot be given: "information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest". But you may try your luck - send them the RTI application alongwith DD/PO by post. Then they will be obliged to refuse in writing.

The RBI rule that the Bank is talking about is perhaps the Banking Companies (Period of Preservation of Records) Rules, 1985. Your statement does not come under this - this is about retention of chqs, account opening forms, vouchers etc.

I think yours is a customer service issue. The statement can be easily retrieved from the computer and given to you. The Bank probably does not care because you/your father is not a customer anymore. Write to the branch manager, then to the Regional office, then to the Central office, with a gentle threat to take matters to consumer forum/courts.

You can also try a different approach: have Mr X (your friend maybe) who talks well meet the branch manager, and let Mr X tell the BM that he intends to open a current a/c alongwith family savings a/cs, as well substantial investments in Life Insurance (all banks are looking for business in LI). If the BM's tongue is waggling, let Mr X mention (on the 2nd/3rd meeting) that his friend (You) had a customer service problem with this branch and since he was not satisfied, Mr X is thinking of having this relationship with some other bank. I think if the BM is convinced about Mr X, the statement will be provided in 5 mins. If you & MR X plan this and execute the plan well, I think this will work.

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     16 September 2013

As far as I understand RTI, the Bank can refuse providing this information not because this is your information, but because the following information cannot be given: "information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest". But you may try your luck - send them the RTI application alongwith DD/PO by post. Then they will be obliged to refuse in writing.

The RBI rule that the Bank is talking about is perhaps the Banking Companies (Period of Preservation of Records) Rules, 1985. Your statement does not come under this - this is about retention of chqs, account opening forms, vouchers etc.

I think yours is a customer service issue. The statement can be easily retrieved from the computer and given to you. The Bank probably does not care because you/your father is not a customer anymore. Write to the branch manager, then to the Regional office, then to the Central office, with a gentle threat to take matters to consumer forum/courts.

You can also try a different approach: have Mr X (your friend maybe) who talks well meet the branch manager, and let Mr X tell the BM that he intends to open a current a/c alongwith family savings a/cs, as well substantial investments in Life Insurance (all banks are looking for business in LI). If the BM's tongue is waggling, let Mr X mention (on the 2nd/3rd meeting) that his friend (You) had a customer service problem with this branch and since he was not satisfied, Mr X is thinking of having this relationship with some other bank. I think if the BM is convinced about Mr X, the statement will be provided in 5 mins. If you & MR X plan this and execute the plan well, I think this will work.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register