LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anand (Myself)     22 May 2012

Bank details using rti

I had lent a sum of money via cheque to a person who deposited it in his bank account and acknowledged it. He later claims he returned the money via cash which is false.

Can I file an RTI to get bank account statements since I know the account number and bank name? Is this not possible under RTI?

Learning

3 Replies

Surendra Gupta (Banker)     22 May 2012

You cannot call for copy of the statement of account of anybody or everybody. Banks are bound by confidentially clause

Surendra Gupta (Banker)     22 May 2012

You cannot call for copy of the statement of account of anybody or everybody. Banks are bound by confidentially clause

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     23 May 2012

What is the use of a bank statement when the person is saying that he has paid in cash?

Bank statement would not prove anything except that you paid him money by cheque which even your bank statement can prove. In any case you cannot ask for anyone's bank statement under RTI as it is not a public matter.

When transactions occur without relevant documentation i.e. oral contracts like this, the matter can be resolved in Court by producing evidence. You have evidence that you gave him some money by cheque as a loan and he is stating that he repaid it by cash. You have a strong case since he may fail to produce witnesses. He would also have to disclose how he got the cash. Did he withdraw from a bank account or did he borrow from someone, etc ?

S Jadhav

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register