LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nikhil (Accountant)     21 November 2013

Assistance required in divorce

Hello Everyone, My wife left me and went away close to 2 years from now. I contacted a Lawyer and asked him to file a divorce petition. I have few questions and i hope anyone from this reputed lawyers club will be able to help me out.

My lawyer gave me a copy of petition which is in white paper without any stamp of court.. Is this how it works. He said the date of appearance is Dec 27th, 2013. I submitted the documents in court along with him on Oct 13th. Does it take so long to get the hearing date?

Is date of appearance the first motion. If yes, when will be the second motion. If divorce is agreed on mutual consent, how much time does it takes to get divorce. At the first motion does counselling session is done by the Judge...

I am new to this all and never thought that i would go through a Divorce some day in my life. Apologies for my questions, but i have no knowledge of all this and also the procedures.

It would really be helpful, if someone could answer my questions. I am filing the case under "Mental Cruelty"

Thanks,

Nikhil

Learning

1 Replies

(Guest)

Mutual divorce you will get in 6 months time.  Both parties should be present during second hearing or second motion.  Then divorce will be granted.

Suppose if your wife does not appear in court, then definitely she will contest the divorce petition.  Which to get over will take anywhere between 6-7 years.

Your advocate would have given you xerox of divorce petition.

You filed your plea in October, for judge to read your divorce petition, it will take minimum 1 year.  Pressurizing judge to read your petition first will only enrage the judge and the judge will keep on putting dates for you to appear.  So have patience and wait until you are heard.  You are not the only person who has applied for divorce, as lot many people have and all cases are prioritized on chronological order.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register