Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

saurabh mishra (Management Trainee)     24 January 2012

Arbitrary selection criteria by a premier institute (iim))

Heres the situation: Imdia's premier B school. IIM Khozikhode (a Government Institute) just released its List of students select for Interview round of the admission process. the selection is based on

1. marks in class 10th (20% weightage, so converted into points out of 20).

2. marks in class 12th (20% weightage, so converted into points out of 20).

4. Marks in undergraduate Course (10% weightage, so converted into points out of 10).

5. Performance in CAT (Common Admission Test, held throught india) (50% weightage, so converted into points out of 50).

now, CAT gives the result as Marks obtained by the students out of 450, as well as the "Percentile" scores of the student. (a percentile score is the percentage of students who have scored marks less than you. For example, if i have got score of 90 percentile it means 90 percent of all the students who took the exam have scores less marks than me.)

Although higher marks translate to higher Percentile scores, percentile scores are not proportional to marks. for example, the preson who got 100 percentile got 380/450 marks, someone with 99.97 percentile scored around 345/450, while someont with 96.9 percentile has obtained only around 255 marks. 

For considering for admission, the institute has divided the "percentile" by 2 (so that 100 percentile gets 50/50 points, while 99.7 percentile 49.85/50 points, 96.9 percentile gets 96.9/2=48.45/50 points.). Thus there is very little difference between 96.9 percentile and 99.97 percentile, even though in terms of actual marks obtained, the difference is of 110 marks, which is huge.

This is clearly UNFAIR. Also, it is ARBITRARY, since for considering the past academic performance (10th, 12th and Undergraduate degree) they have rightly used marks obtained in 10th, 12th and undergraduate degree.

Having explained this,I WANT ASK, if a legal action can be taked against this? if Yes, then what?

Also, Can a writ petition be Filed in the supreme court ?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More