LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Ancetsral property dispute

I belong to Nair Community of Kerala. My father expired 24 yrs back in an accident. My grandfather and grandmother are still alive. They have partitioned the Ancestral property among the remaining 3 sons excluding my father. The property is ancestral property i.e. my grandfather got it from his father. I was told that in Nair community, “PATERNAL” property rights (irrespective of whether it is ancestral property) are not governed by Hindu join family laws and the owner (in our case grandfather) can divide the property as per his choice. Please let me know if this is correct? Being in Nair community, I would like to know whether I have the right to get a share of that ancestral property? If so, what all documents would be required to file the suit? Awaiting your reply.


 1 Replies

prakharved (Medical officer)     27 June 2013



As far as I know, since the property that has been mentioned is an ancestral property, therefore your father and his descendants (i.e. you) are legally entitled to the property. 


On the matter whether Nairs are governed by the Hindu Family Laws or not, i think you should consult an experienced property lawyer. I would suggest you to visit www.lawkonect.comHere you can write down your query in detail and a practicing property lawyer would give a written reply to your query. You would be informed about the the relevant laws that you need to take into consideration and the you will also be described the options available to you in your present situation. It is essential that one familiarizes oneself with the law before taking any step. Visit to get reliable information to all your legal queries.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register