LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nikhil (Doctor)     01 March 2024

Advocate fee

Hello, advocate told 1lac fee for divorce case. After certain time, we had mutually divorced. I paid in total 1.7lac to advocate. Still she asking commision ie 10% on settlement amount. How much ethical this is? Really, we are respecting law and running behind money. I have all upi transction details. And there is no mutual agreement on this extra amount. I have given additional 70k. She told can file recovery case. See her language


 3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 March 2024

you can refuse to pay the extra amount demanded towards the lawyer's fee citing percentage of the settlement amount, it is an illegal act and misconduct on the part of the advocate.

if the advocate is proceeidng to court to recover, you can challenge the same properly

Nikhil (Doctor)     01 March 2024

Thank you sir. Anyway, she told about fee verbally i. e. 1lac. But last day of mutual divorce, it was not easy. She didnt proceed without taking extra fee.

now she is telling, I am senior advocate and can send recovery notice by mentioning 5000 INR for each date and different fee for documents. Or else pay 10% of settlement, its 17lac.

It is really hurting as in India, we have such fraud advocates, they are like white collar criminals. Mostly family cases are really source of money gor advocate.



T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 March 2024

As advised to you, refuse to pay the exorbitant amount demanded by the advocate and remain silent without responding any further.

If at all she is approaching court for recovery then it becomes her duty to prove her case with documentary evidence and also to justify her demand of Rs. 5000/- per sitting despite being paid with a huge amount as fixed fee.

It is illegal and professional misconduct for an advocate to demand percentage in the settlement amount.

You can challenge her claim, if any, properly if she approaches court with a claim.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register