LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manjusha   20 February 2019

Adoption deed under jj act

Im a Central Govt employee and last year I adopted a male child under JJ Act from Kerala.  We already have a biological son. Now when I wanted to include my adopted childs in office records, the admin section wanted to see the adoption deed which is not mandatory in JJ act.  I dont have adoption deed, only final court order is with me. Is it necessary that I should have an adoption deed and also please tell how to get this deed if required.

Learning

2 Replies

srishti jain   27 July 2021

As per your query,

An adoption deed is required for adopting a child. It is executed by natural parents of the child in favor of adopting parents. Rules differ according to the religion of the parents. In respect of the Hindus, it is an essential part of the process of adoption as per the act and the rules in this regard. 

The steps involved in the registration of an adoption deed are as follows:

• First, get an adoption deed drafted or prepared by a legal expert/advocate. Stamp paper is purchased for the execution 
  • Then, the date is fixed for the registration in the sub-registrar office. The Government Registration fee has to be paid 
  • All the parties along with two witnesses visit the sub-registrar office on the fixed day for the registration of the adoption deed 
  • Collect the registered adoption deed after a week

Section 16 provides that, if the adoption deed is registered, it shall be presumed that the adoption has been done after complying with the provisions of the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act. Thus, it is recommended to get the adoption deed registered, in the concerned Sub Registrar's office, to void possibilities of any legal compliance or, a dispute in the future.

Hope it helps,

Regards, 

Srishti

josemarina   21 January 2022

Procedure for registration of the adoption deed

1. Drafting of the Adoption deed by a legal expert or advocate in the specified format on stamp papers (available at Notaries)
  2. Requesting an appointment date with ‘Sub Registrar’ to carry out the registration process in the Registrar’s Office.
  3. Payment of Government registration fees.
  4. Registering the Adoption deed in Sub Registrar Office along with two witnesses on the appointment date.
  5. Registered Adoption deed available within a week or so after registration in Registrar’s office.

Key Points to look during the adoption of a child:

It’s necessary for the parents who’re thinking of adopting a child are to produce certain original documents along with two self-attested copies to undergo the legal adoption process.

Documents to be furnished with the adoption deed format are listed below

• Any of the following documents for identity proof- Passport/ Driving License/ Voter ID / Pan Card
  • Address proof- Aadhaar Card/ Ration Card/ Electricity bill
  • Marriage Certificate
  • The Prospective Adoptive Parents are requested to submit a recent Health certificate stating and proving that the individuals don’t suffer from any contagious disease or mental or physical agony and are fit and competent to take care of the adopted child.
  • A family photograph
  • Three recently clicked photographs of the adoptive family (postcard size).
  • The self-employed prospective adoptive parents are asked to furnish an IT statement of the preceding three years. If they are employed in any organization then they are asked to submit an income certificate from the organization.
  • Two letters of recommendation are to be submitted by the Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAP). One of them is the letter by a close acquaintance and the other one from a far relative of the Prospective Adoptive Parents.
  • In case of any previous adoption, the PAP are requested to submit the Adoption Decree.
  • In case if the PAP already has a biological or adopted child aged more than 7 years, written consent from that child is necessary to proceed further with the adoption process.
  • Single Prospective parent needs to furnish a letter from any of their close relative stating their approval to take care of the child due to any unforeseen circumstances.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register