LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Somik Mukherjee   23 January 2022

Adding a surname after marriage

My wife has name AB and my name DC. She wants to become ABC after marriage but the documentation and everywhere else she wants to be able to use either AB or ABC. Is this possible?

 5 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     23 January 2022

No.  Is your marriage registered?  If so which name is written in the marriage application? If her maiden name is written in the marriage certificate then you shall submit an application to the Registrar of Marriages to correct as you need.  Otherwise, get a Gazette notification for the name change as AB alias ABC.  

Anaita Vas   24 January 2022

Respected Mr. Mukherjee,

There are two ways your wife can get her name changed after marriage. By -

Notarized Affidavit

Gazette Publication

In case of a notarized affidavit, she will have to follow the below-mentioned steps -

Step 1: Submit a joint affidavit with a marriage certificate. Information like her forename, planned new name, partner's name, and residence must be included in this declaration.
Step 2: Print the affidavit on INR 10 stamp paper and your wife and you should sign it.
Step 3: Attach the signed document to the marriage license and passport-sized pictures of you and your wife.
Step 4: Have the affidavit notarized by a notary. A legal fee is charged for this process.
Step 5: Place an ad in two newspapers announcing the name change.

I'd suggest her to change your name in other documents like your PAN Card, Passport etc.

In case you opt for a gazette publication, you'll have to follow the below-mentioned steps.

Step 1: Submit a formal petition to the Gazette department seeking a name change owing to marriage, together with a duplicate of the marriage license and evidence of residence.
Step 2: Submit the supporting documents by registered post to the relevant department for verification.
Step 3: Ask the department to include the information in the next edition of the Gazette.
Step 4: After 15 to 20 business days, a Gazette notice will be given to your location by registered post. This can be used to prove that you have changed her name.
Step 5: Place an ad in two local newspapers/dailies announcing the name change.



Anaita Vas


P. Venu (Advocate)     24 January 2022

Fact of the mater is that there is no law nor procedure mandated by law. However, with increasing digitalisation of public records, inconsistency in name could give raise problems.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     24 January 2022

She can use either her maiden name or surname of her husband and write both names to avoid confusion depending on the importance of such a document.  They use the maiden name and state wife of...... after marriage.

P. Venu (Advocate)     24 January 2022

Yes, that is the reality. There is law in our country as to a person ought to be named or name is to be changed. Any inconsistency, as and when arise, could be explained through an affidvit.

However, digitalisation of records esp. linking every other document to Aadhar is giving rise to number of technical issues.

It is too hasty, and waste of money, to rush to the Notary or the Press.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query