Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kevek (no)     13 March 2011

about retail loss prevention

Hello, Mr. /Ms.

I am a foreign student living in london,U.K. I got caught stealing in a store with 2 perfume testers which were around 100 pound. It's my FIRST time been caught. Police were not involved.

The security grabbed me when I went outside, he took me to the security room checked my bags and other shopping bags, took a picture of mine, and made me to sign a paper where my name, DOB, address were written. In that paper, it claims that I am banned from any of its branches and admitted shoplifting. 

He also hold my other shopping bags (different brands, some were damaged) as I failed to show him the receipts, I told him that I intended to exchange the items to what I want without receipt (He wouldn't listen). He assumed all other stuffs were stolen as well, and said if I fail to bring the receipt, all stuff will sent back to the retail stores on next monday. However, I told him I may get one/two receipt tomorrow, then he said he may contact the police afterward if I come back for the items. He said that was my own lost, as I couldn't provide the receipts at that moment.

Finally, the security gave me a letter about a company called Retail Loss Provention(RLP). I am waiting to receive a fine and the paper they gave me (Civil Recovery Scheme) says that it MAY be passed on to the police. However,

My question is :

1. Will I get a criminal record and I am worried that this could affect my student visa, and future.

2. If I paid the fine which from RLP company, is that the end of story (no further police or court prosecution as the security said to me).

3. Should I go back to claim the other items with only one/two receipt? Will he sent all stuffs back to other stores on next Monday?

4. If they send my other stuffs to their retail stores on next monday and I couldn't present my receipt then, will other stores make a prosecution through police or court.

5. Will it possible that the security is not going to contact RLP, but the police or court instead as we got lots other brands stuffs. Then I will be prosecuted in court?

I am extremely regret about what I have done, I haven't eaten for days and couldn't sleep all days.

Please reply all possible situation I may be involved.

Thank you

Learning

1 Replies

Deepak Jain (Proprietor)     14 March 2011

The fact that the police have not become involved with this incident does not prejudice the right of the store to bring this civil claim. The store may have a claim against you for damages for all of the losses incurred as a result of your action. You will appreciate that costs have been incurred in investigations, surveillance, security and administration. Those costs are a direct result of your actions. The store is entitled to be compensated for all of those losses and is entitled to seek a remedy of damages in the County/Sheriff Court if necessary. A civil claim for damages is separate from a criminal prosecution. At the conclusion of the civil claim, you will not have a criminal record. It is common for the police not to become involved in this type of incident and it is common for the Police not to prosecute certain types of cases. You need not worry about Police record and losing your visa, as long as you do not get involved in any other illegal act where Police may be called then you may get a criminal record.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register