LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

arun   22 May 2017

Procedure for become a patent agent with science and law deg

Can anybody let me know as how to register as a petent agent having a science background and law degree without patent agent exam.

As of now i have noticed as below.

1. High court of Madras has given the judgement as person having the Science background with law degree are eligible to become the patent agent without taking the patent agent exam.

2. Somebody has filed a RTI for the same and patent board has not come with response and stated only they will go for an appeal to SC.

Has anybody registered as a petent agent without writing the patent exam?

if anybody has updates/latest information and procedure to register without taking the patent agent exam.

please let me know...

Thanks

Arun

Learning

13 Replies

(Guest)

Sir, one cannot become a Patent agent exam without qualifying Patent exam!,as per Parents Act 1970

arun   22 May 2017

ok sir thanks for the reply... posted comments is what i  have noticed after doing some ground work on patent agent.

but could not find any further updates after the judgement from Madras High court.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     23 May 2017

The requisite qualifications are as follows:

-He/she should be a citizen of India.

-Applicant should have completed 21 years of age.

-Candidate should have obtained a degree in science, engineering or technology from any university established under the law for the time being in force in the territory of India or possess such other equivalent qualifications as specified.

-He/she has passed the qualifying examination prescribed for the purpose or has for a total period of not less than ten year, functioned either as an examiner or discharged the functions of the Controller under S 73 or both, but ceased to hold any such capacity at the time of making an application for registration.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     23 May 2017

wITHOUT QUALIFYING THE PATENT AGENT EXAM IF YOU'VE sCIENCE AND lAW dEGREE YOU CAN PRACTISE AS PATENT aGENT.

arun   23 May 2017

Thanks madam for the reply. But my question is not still answered. Do you have any idea as how to get registered as a patent agent with the above qualification...

Hardeep (Business)     23 May 2017

Interesting query Arun and I would also be interested in knowing the latest status.  I had put a detailed blog on this at :

https://lawforall.in/patent-agents-exam/

the latest AFAIK :

"HOWEVER, the decision was appealed by the Controller of Patents after some delay as elaborated hereunder. (vide Writ Appeal No. 532 of 2014 )"

Whether that means a STAY on HC ruling or not I don't know.

Maybe seniors here could advise/comment. Many Thanks

Hardeep (Business)     23 May 2017

Originally posted by : Ms.Usha Kapoor
wITHOUT QUALIFYING THE PATENT AGENT EXAM IF YOU'VE sCIENCE AND lAW dEGREE YOU CAN PRACTISE AS PATENT aGENT.

Wouild appreciate more details - for example , are you one, or do you know any who is ?

arun   23 May 2017

Madam Usha Kapoor or some experts should suggest us... Who have come across this specific problem should tell us.

arun   23 May 2017

Madam Usha Kapoor or some experts should suggest us... Who have come across this specific problem should tell us.

arun   23 May 2017

arun   23 May 2017

arun   23 May 2017

Sorry by mistake I clicked multiple times.

arun   26 May 2017

I found this...

looks like a lawyer with the science background can file a patent and they have not opposed yet.

and think/belive as a lawyer with a science background can file the patent without any registration from the below link.

looks still the patent office has not taken any action on the Madras high court decesion.

https://www.ficpi.org/news/no-patent-agent-examination-in-india-whats-transpiring/

Sugessions and Comments are welcome...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register