Is Hindi use compulsory for Central Government servants?

[See my Blog for NSSD-UOI] Founder - President Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Democratic Rights Forum (DRF) (Foundation for Social Justice and Constitutional Awareness for Trial of Public Service) email at drf.india@gmail.com - Twitter:democrats_forum

Is Hindi language compulsory for Central Government servants ?

A case is reported that a Central Government servant here in Mumbai has submitted a leave application in English language. His officer has returned the same without sanctioning the leave with a remark on it that “Krupaya Hindi me Likhen” (Please fill up the application form in Hindi).

What is constitutional provision?

Samudre ji Article 343 talks about official language. Copy of Constitution can be downloaded from http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/welcome.html

Total likes : 1 times

Advocate

Hindi cannot be made to learn forcefully in India. Under  Article 343 of our Constitution, it is clearly stated that both English and Hindi are official languages of the Country for all purposes. I think Ambedkar was aware that India is a nation of diverse languages and so, it is not fair to force people to learn Hindi in southern States. Hats off to him. And we can grow globally with English whereas knowing only Hindi is a barrier for development. 

sir jee “Krupaya Hindi me Likhen”

PLEASE word is ther no forcefully!

Advocate

Sarvesh ji, please read the facts clearly. It says officer returned the letter. What does it mean? How dare he reject the letter with that note?

[See my Blog for NSSD-UOI] Founder - President Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Democratic Rights Forum (DRF) (Foundation for Social Justice and Constitutional Awareness for Trial of Public Service) email at drf.india@gmail.com - Twitter:democrats_forum

Thanks Madam for reply.  Agreed to you. We are of the same opinion that can be seen in the following thread;

http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/ENGLISH-can-be-NATIONAL-AND-OFFICIAL-LANGUAGE-of-UOI-29859.asp?

In the present case, I think a representation can be given to the officer concerned putting up the same leave application mentioning the Article 343, is it OK? or what the draft should be copies of which can be sent to the administation for not to repeat such insistence fro any employee? 

Advocate

Let the representation be made in a soft manner first. Ask him to give the provision which says only Hindi is official language. If he fails, then he should accept the letter. :)

There are south Indian women also working and facing same problem that officers insisting to submit all kind of applications, TA claims etc. in Hindi to get the bills passed at earliest but they do not resist just to avoid any consequental problems in routine work.

Advocate

To fight back or to surrender is always left to the option of the party. I have made the provision of Constitution clear as a lawyer. There will be harassments if one does not have guts to fight for his/her rights. I conclude my opinions on this thread by this.

Thanks. I will get printouts of this thread and will send the same to distibute in all the employees.

And YES, sending a letter from DRF to the Geneal Manager of the department to issue instructions to all concerned to give honour to constituional rights of their employees which they have as a citizen and not to trea them as a personal servants at their house.

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum:

LAWyersclubindia Menu