LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sachin (GM)     26 September 2010

Fraud case to be decided only by court and not arbitrator

I have sent a complaint to NSE /SEBI/ EOW on 24 / 06 / 10,  in respect of Fraud / Cheating amounting to Rs 70 Lacs (approx.) by the Officials of M/s Religare Securities Ltd in stock market.  In this regard I was advised to go to the Arbitration of NSE because of arbitration clause in the agreement.                                   

I have come to know that according to the Supreme Court Judgment in the serious allegations of Fraud and Criminal Misappropriation the matter can only be decided by court and not by the Arbitrator. In my case fraud / Cheating and Cyber Crime involving sending of fraudulent statements through e- mail is noticed against which i have lodged the complaint to EOW / Police Dept.

SC Ruling - Arbitration and conciliation act - Serious allegations of fraud and criminal misappropriation - Can only be decided by Court when parties lead detailed evidence and not by the Arbitrator. 2009(3) Apex Court Judgments 643 (S.C.). 

As i have consulted lawyers i am highly confused , they say i should not avoid arbitration. It may get time barred ( six Months limit only). However it seems, arbitration does not have powers to decide in this case. Others say i should go to civil court + criminal court to get justice. I am confused.

I am unable to find the proper guidance from the SEBI /  NSE  Website.  In this very case what should be my Legal course of action. Pls. guide accordingly, to seek justice. Will arbitration be of any help to me? Will the judgment  of arbitration hold good in the case of fraud / criminal misappropriation? Will the revised fees of Rs. 30,000/- be reversed in that case? 

Also pls. suggest some competent Lawyer with relevant experience with Contact No’s.   

Looking Forward to an early reply.

Thanks,

SACHIN BHARDWAJ

Mobile – 98109 33322

Learning

4 Replies

sachin (GM)     26 September 2010

But  according to the Supreme Court Judgment in the serious allegations of Fraud and Criminal Misappropriation the matter can only be decided by court and not by the Arbitrator.

What is the benefit if they can not see the cheating / Fraud involved in it and secondly the arbitrator can not decide in such matters.  Also pls. tell me will the arbitration fee of Rs 30,000/- be returned back if i choose arbitration.

Also some of the lawyers suggest that the institutional arbitrators are biased and arbitration can not decide in this case.  and i should go to civil court + criminal court to get justice. 

ved prakash (adocate)     26 September 2010

You should tell the concered authorties that arbitration is not possible since the case based on forged documents and arbitratotion court will not have the required infrastructure to record detailed evidence required in the case and you intend moving civil court and also filing a complaint with the police. In case police dos not lodge a FIR , then lodge a private complaint. Don,t waste time and money on arbitration.

Daksh (Student)     27 September 2010

Sachin,

Neither there is any estoppel as per the Judgement of the Apex Court nor there is any bar otherwise that you should not be participating in the Arbitration.  It is a right accrued to you by virtue of the contract and it is your sweet will whether or not to go for Arbitration. 

The only concern is that even in Arbitration if you are able to prove your case that in fact a fraud has been carried out then you may approach a court to get the guilty punished.

Evidently there is no bar that in a Arbitration proceeding no evidence could be adduced which might indicate the fact of perpetration of fraud by either of the party to the Arbitration.  The only question which as per the judgement of the Apex Court subsequently the party can move the appropriate court.

Best Regards

Daksh

R.Ranganathan (Advocate)     29 September 2010

Mr. Sachin, You have to exhaust your remedy of arbitration. You cannot assume things. Maybe fraud has been committed but the other sides views will have to be taken into account, so first get along with the arbitration proceedings and if not satisfied you have the appeal provisions and the High Court to prove yourself. 

On the other hand, if you hurry to the Civil court and the court directs you to exhaust your remedy by arbitration, you will have no other choice. So it is always better to go through the normal procedures though the matter is delayed and involves expenses.

Originally posted by :sachin
"

I have sent a complaint to NSE /SEBI/ EOW on 24 / 06 / 10,  in respect of Fraud / Cheating amounting to Rs 70 Lacs (approx.) by the Officials of M/s Religare Securities Ltd in stock market.  In this regard I was advised to go to the Arbitration of NSE because of arbitration clause in the agreement.                                   

I have come to know that according to the Supreme Court Judgment in the serious allegations of Fraud and Criminal Misappropriation the matter can only be decided by court and not by the Arbitrator. In my case fraud / Cheating and Cyber Crime involving sending of fraudulent statements through e- mail is noticed against which i have lodged the complaint to EOW / Police Dept.

SC Ruling - Arbitration and conciliation act - Serious allegations of fraud and criminal misappropriation - Can only be decided by Court when parties lead detailed evidence and not by the Arbitrator. 2009(3) Apex Court Judgments 643 (S.C.). 

As i have consulted lawyers i am highly confused , they say i should not avoid arbitration. It may get time barred ( six Months limit only). However it seems, arbitration does not have powers to decide in this case. Others say i should go to civil court + criminal court to get justice. I am confused.

I am unable to find the proper guidance from the SEBI /  NSE  Website.  In this very case what should be my Legal course of action. Pls. guide accordingly, to seek justice. Will arbitration be of any help to me? Will the judgment  of arbitration hold good in the case of fraud / criminal misappropriation? Will the revised fees of Rs. 30,000/- be reversed in that case? 

Also pls. suggest some competent Lawyer with relevant experience with Contact No’s.   

Looking Forward to an early reply.

Thanks,

SACHIN BHARDWAJ

Mobile – 98109 33322
"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register