New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Citizen Kane (manager)     06 May 2013

50% owner of property being denied her share

My sister is 50% legal owner of a flat in Bangalore. The other 50% rests with her husband. Now they have decided to divorce, but her husband is refusing to part with the property. He says he will not allow her to take her share and has hidden the registration papers. The Regstartion clearly is in both their names. My 48 yr old sister needs a place to stay after divorce and needs to settle this property for that. Should she hire a lawyer or approach the muncipal authrities in bangalore.


 7 Replies

Reformist !!! (Other)     20 August 2013

if she shared the EMIs then only she can claim.....otherwise it will be a legal battle for house which is very difficult to win as the EMIs are paid by husband and ur sister will be given permanent alimony.

NGOKC (pm)     21 August 2013

if she has registration in her name ,

she can ask for records from office where registery is done. All ownership records are electronic

u can always get a copy

Citizen Kane (manager)     22 August 2013

@498aweddinggift - EMI's were paid by the tenant. The husband is landlord in the Tenancy Deed. When there was no tenant, my sister gave her share of EMI by cash to her husband who added the other half and paid the cheque to the bank. 

Reformist !!! (Other)     22 August 2013

Then after proving that she paid in cash, she will get her claim 

Citizen Kane (manager)     30 August 2013

@498weddinggift, you are misinformed. 

Reformist !!! (Other)     06 September 2013

If u have any proofs of cash given to husband, then it will be considered in court.....otherwise onus to prove that u contributed is on u and not on husband.

kalyanasundaram (chartered accountant)     08 July 2014

If the EMi (Interest and Principal) are claimed by both of them in their IT returns , then she can claim.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register