Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mayjas (manager)     10 September 2012

22 months rent agreement

My query is as below
Im an nri and i own a flat in Mira Road, Thane, Maharashtra. Ive rented it to a family (a working lady teacher, her teen son and her mother). They are very decent and pay the rent on or before time and have kept the flat very clean and no complaints also from neighbours.
The contract is on leave and licence. The  1st contract was for 11 months in name of the lady, second renewal was also 11 months in name of same lady.
I just did the 3rd renewal last month but for 22 months (on the advise of the estate agent, who said it will save the tenant some registration charges)
When we went to the police station to register the agreement, the officer registered it, but made me stay back and asked the lady to leave. When the lady left, he told and asked me y did i make agreement for 22 months and that too in same name. He also told that if in future tenant makes any problem or doesnt vacate, he told me dont come back crying to us. Because tenant staying continously for long time can refuse to vacate flat and he said u will keep fighting in court for years if you filema case.
This has put me in lot of tension as i also dont know much of the local rental laws.
But on suggestion of others, we have already informed tenent that the police said that 22 months agreement is not possible and that we will have to terminate the agreement in 8th or 9th month and then make a new agreement of 11 months but in name of the son or her mother.
She has said ok, as she is also very straight lady, but as i felt risky, i dont want to take any chances with the flat made by our hard earned money.
Could you please suggest what action can i take so that im in a totally safe position and let me know if in current situation, am i at any risk position and whatnis the worst that can happen.
Awaiting your valuable advise and suggestions.
Thanking you in advance

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register