Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aspirant   04 December 2021

'karmakar' and 'kamar' in obc list

Respected Advocates,
I belong to 'Kamar' community (mentioned in our ancestral land records/deed) in West Bengal, which as per a 1997 circular by Cultural Research Institute, CRI (WB govt's institute for SC,ST, OBC research) is same as 'Karmakar' community.
But only 'Karmakar' community is listed in central and state OBC list, not my 'Kamar' community. 

However, Local district administration officers say they issue caste certificate for both 'Karmakar' and 'Kamar' community by mentioning 'Karmakar' in the certificate following the circular of 1997. It seems this method is regularly done for many other sub-castes in many states as well.

Should I proceed with the OBC? I am planning to write all-India exams where Central list is considered.If district people issue certificate with 'Karmakar' caste, can the appointing authority at Central govt institution object and reject the same?

I am also eligible for EWS if the circular order is not accepted by central institution. Which one should I proceed with?

Please help.
Regards

Learning

1 Replies

Aryan Raj   10 January 2022

In response to your query,

OBC is a collective term used by the Government of India to classify castes which are educationally or socially disadvantaged. It is one of several official classifications of the population of India, along with General Class, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SCs and STs). The Kamar or Kamara is an Indian caste found in the Odisha states of India. They are sub-caste of Karmakar caste of Bengal which are categorized as OBC in West Bengal.

The economically weaker section (EWS) is the section of the society in India that belongs to the un-reserved category and has an annual family income of less than 8 lakh rupees. This category includes people that do not belong to the caste categories of ST/SC/OBC who already enjoy the benefits of reservation.

As you can see that the Kamar community is recognised by the state of West Bengal therefore the central government cannot overview the recognition of a state so you won't have any problem at the central institution. 

But in your case I would suggest you to go with EWS eligibility as that will be more beneficial to you in a central institution written exam.

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register