What is the case
- In response to a plea filed by terror suspect Rashid Zafar saying that he was beaten up and made to shout "Jai Shree Ram" by inmates, a Special NIA Court in Delhi requested a report from the Tihar Jail authorities.
- Zafar, an undertrial prisoner, was detained in 2018 on suspicion of being a member of the Islamic State and planning suicide bombings and serial explosives against politicians and other authorities in Delhi and other cities.
Details of the case
- Zafar had petitioned the Court earlier this week, requesting directives to be passed on the Jail Superintendent in order to check into the matter, and Special NIA Judge Praveen Singh had requested the response.
- The plea, filed by Advocate MS Khan, said that Zafar, who is now incarcerated in Tihar Central Jail, was "beaten up and forced to scream religious slogans of another religion by his inmates."
- "That the applicant/accused told his father about this occurrence over the phone from Tihar Jail." The plea was read out loud.
- According to reports, nine accused persons, including Zafar, were arrested in December 2018 after the NIA conducted searches in Jafrabad, Seelampur in Delhi, and 11 locations in Uttar Pradesh, including six in Amroha, two in Lucknow, two in Hapur, and two in Meerut, in collaboration with the Special Cell of the Delhi Police and the Anti-Terrorism Squad of the Uttar Pradesh Police.
What do you think about the case?
Tags : Others